SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

new window frames

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mikehoyt 
#1 ·
We own a Pearson Countess. The Countess is a ketch rigged pilothouse built by Pearson in the late 60s. We replaced the pilothouse windows (they are too large to be called portlights) a couple of years ago. In the process of removing the old windows we bent the original aluminum frames to the point that they were not reusable. At the suggestion of our favorite marina repairman we had new lexan windows installed without frames. They are cut 1" oversized and surface mounted on the outside of the pilothouse and caulked and thru bolted. Although effective the installation detracts from the original appearance of the boat which is one of the reasons we bought her in the first place.
Any suggestions from owners of pilothouse boats that have experience with a similar situation would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Happy monday you might try new found metals for new replacement ports or even lewmar or one of the other makers of portlights for a match or even a close match You know you bent them so you would have an excuse to spend more on the boat. Did a search on portlights on the net and found a bunch check them out. I have a seafarer that someone attempted to stop the leaks by bolting on 1/4 lexan with a ton of silicone its on my list for this winter to fix we are talking UGLY. Good luck I hate to see good boats bastardized to save a few dollars.

#4 ·
On my Taswell 43, RICKA, I have long side windows with lexan mounted from the outside - as you described. Original plastic frames have broken and split so I made new one piece frames (they fit perfectly) out of Masonite. Before installing I sanded and primed them, then spray painted them white with a top quality two part paint. I stalled them using white silicone adhesive. A good thick coat of the adhesive was applied to the back side of the frame and it was then pushed into position allowing the adhesive to squish-out all around the frame. The excess silicone was removed while still uncured using 3M Adhesive Remover. The whole job turned out to be really beautiful. It was done in 2000 and now three years later still looks as good as the day it was finished.
Cheers, Mel Shapiro/RICKA

#5 ·
These folks made six large custom windows and frames for our Newport 41. Leak free and looks beautiful. They helped us figure out how to do the templates easily.

The company is Mark Plastics out of Corona, CA. His # is 909-735-7705. His
name is Mark Heacox. I''m real happy with the service, the expertise and the
results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.