Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Wilcox and Crittenden deck fill problem

Our boat has Wilcox and Crittenden deck fills that consist of an aluminum deck fitting with a black plastic screw in plug. One of our diesel fills has seized. I broke the plastic trying to get it open and had to repair it with epoxy. I have tried PB Blaster without success.

The problem is that we are sitting in Suva harbour in Fiji and there is no convenient marine store - especially with imperial-sized fittings. I suspect we can survive until we get to Brisbane in early September but does anyone have a bright idea for getting this plug loose?
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
You can try to take advantage of the difference in thermal expansion between plastic and aluminium.

The aluminium should be 20ppm/C and the plastic could be anything from 25 to 200 ppm/C. (Nylon is 50). That means that cooling the cap and deck fitting might free up the filler cap as the cap will shrink more than the aluminium part.

Try pouring some very cold, icy water over it and see if that frees it up. If you can cool the plastic part more than the aluminium, so much the better.
Old 07-30-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately this does seem to be a rather common problem, most often caused by overtightening. I've done it twice (fills had to be drilled out/replaced), assisted two friends without success, and watched a poor soul with a frozen diesel fill have to postpone his departure for Europe from the Caribbean by 2 days since the torque applied in trying to open up the fill tore out the fiberglass mounting screws so that everything around the fill needed to be re-glassed.
In my case I assume that it was metal-on-metal galling and I hope that MarkSF's great advice will help solve the problem. I've learned my lesson and now only tighten the fills just a touch more than hand-tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Just an idea - in a similar situation (frozen emergency tiller access), to get more leverage I got a long piece of wood, put in two large nails (with the ends cut off) and used this as a lever/wrench to increase the torque. My problem was holding it in place; once I wedged it is place it did work. So perhaps a combo of ice and a long lever?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.