Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Non-skid; conflicting procedure?

I have posted a few non-skid comments, trying to decide to install Kiwigrip or Interlux polyurethane non-skid.

I am planning to do this work within the month of Aug (no wind on the Cheseapeake Bay in Aug). But don't have excessive amount of time to get the work done.

My preferred method: The manufacturer for polyuerthane non-skid paint requires sanding down the old non-skid, priming and then applying the non-skid polyurerthane.
** I have researched and seen many owners skipping the sanding down the existing non-skid to a smooth finish. I do think they provide some sanding to create a surface so that the paint can adhere to. I do have some crazing which I am planning to apply West Marine penetrating epoxy or CPES to fill in the tiny cracks prior to any primer. (Never used a slow curring epoxy so not sure what to expect)
Looking at pictures online of non-skid paint applied over existing non-skid seems fine.
My question is, would it be an acceptable procedure to do this or will it actually look horrible as you will have a sandy non-skid paint over an existing worn non-skid?
Or perhaps using Kiwigrip over an existing worn non-skid as it will cover better and will show the existing pattern of the non-skid?

I know Kiwigrip can go over non-skid, so I would assume that the procedure would be the same, still applying the penetrating epoxy to fill in any cracks prior to applying Kiwigrip.
*** the boat yard mechanic stated that acrylic paints will not hold up but I have not read one bad thing about Kiwigrip.

Any help or advise, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I just finished my nonskid with the kiwi grip, and it turned out great. 70% prep. like always 30% paint. The original nonskid just about disapeared under a thin coat. As for time a weekend can get the job done with super results. lots of hoseing the decks is in order after using the kiwigrip as dust settles in the vallies looking a littlle dirty:
Old 08-02-2011

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Interlux Interdeck can be applied directly over a gelcoat non skid. Look at the web site or on the can to confirm this.

I used Interdeck on my J27 and did not do any significant sanding of the areas where I was not doing other deck work. More a thorough cleaning and wiopedown with Solvent Wash (202 I think). I have never had any failure in this product in the 4 years since. It is essentially Brightside with non skid additive and a flatenning agent

I am planning to replace with KiwiGrip next year. Kiwi Grip is only now available locally but is three times the cost and a bit more work. However the non skid properties of Kiwi Grip seem to be superior to Interdeck

Mike
Nut Case
J27 #150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2011
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
I am trying to decide whether to use Kiwigrip on my Island Packet 44. The deck has had Imron applied once, and that reduced the non-skid qualities. Deck still looks good, but it is pretty slippery in a seaway.

I have a bid of about 5k to grind down the existing non-skid, and repaint using silica floated in the paint. I have seen his work and it is good. This is only for the deck, not the cabin roof.

I have two boats, a 36 year old Pearson 10M and the IP 44. I know the Kiwigrip would be completely appropriate for my great old Pearson (I have owned it for 35 of those years) but how would the Kiwigrip look on a high end boat like an Island Packet. Does the finish look high end, or just very functional.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-29-2011
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
The finish is a good looking end result. I did not finish the flat surfaces this year but will be wet sanded and polished next season. I will take some pics at haulout this weekend and try to get them posted.