SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Dies HELP!!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/7706-engine-dies-help.html)

lauralee 08-11-2003 08:11 AM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

I have a Volvo MD2B that was stored since manufacture and started for the first time in May 2000. It has way less than 300 hours on it. In May of this year I ran it and it worked fine. The next time I ran it it died after a few minutes run time. So: I changed the fuel filters added fresh diesel. The engine now runs sometimes as much as 15 minutes and then dies. It will restart immediately and run 5 minutes and then die. What is wrong? I am not sure what to try next. Any one know??

DuaneIsing 08-11-2003 08:31 AM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

Based upon recent personal experience on a charter, the lines from the fuel tank to the filter and the filter housing itself had become mostly clogged. If you have not checked these, it might be worth doing.

Good luck.
Duane

kmeeks 08-11-2003 10:10 AM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

Another possibility may be loose fuel line fitting that is allowing the introduction of air.

Are there hose clamps in place?

camaraderie 08-11-2003 07:52 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

If you have a dirty air filter screen...that could be choking off air to the engine which produces similar symptoms to fuel problems. Best...GB

windancer1 08-12-2003 02:57 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

All the previous responses are good, being a owner of this engine I have encountered the same problem in the past. What I found was the lift pump diaphram had a small pinhole and allowed air to work into the fuel lines then to the injector(high press. pump). After rebuilding the pump and bleeding the lines the problem was solved.

Hope this helps.

Dave R.

lauralee 08-13-2003 12:09 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I am very grateful for new ideas and will try them all. Dave R. do you possibly have the part number on that diaphragm? I want to replace that part.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out.

windancer1 08-13-2003 04:04 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

lauralee,

Yes, I have the # but it is at my office. I will get it Thurs. and post it.

Dave R.

windancer1 08-14-2003 05:28 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

lauralee,
The # for the lift(feed) pump repair kit is 834255. I paid $91.00 last year.

Hope this helps,

Dave R.

lauralee 08-14-2003 06:23 PM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

Thanks Dave! I have spent hours looking for this number. Much appreciated!

Nereus32 08-17-2003 02:14 AM

Engine Dies HELP!!!

I''m betting on the clogged fuel line. I had the same engine and the same problem. It''d die, I''d wait, and it would restart, only to die again. I started at the pump to bleed the system, but there wasn''t anything there to bleed. Then, it was only a matter of tracing the fuel lines back to the blockage. Blockage was at the tank, and significant. Once cleared, never had another problem.

Just helps reiforce how important it is to filter your fuel, both at the engine and when you pour it into your tank. I bought one gallon of diesel at a local station and, after sitting for a while, was suprised to see how much debris settled out of just that one gallon!