Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011

sandycohen is on a distinguished road
Opinion on stakpack and dacron weight for racing use

Hi All -

I've been lusting to replace my 10+ year old blown out main since I bought my boat at the beginning of the year (the rest of the sail wardrobe is very good). 90% of my sail purpose at this point is racing, although I do hope to do more cruising in the future, but racing will still probably be the reason I sail most of the time.

I have found a doyle loft that has a brand new main, built for a sister-ship in 2009 but not taken by the customer, and according to them there is nothing wrong except they made it from the wrong material for that customers order (he wanted laminate). It is unfinished (no numbers, battens, boxes) and has an integral doyle stackpak/lazy jacks. It is 8 oz dacron, full battens.

I like the idea of the stack pak for cruising, but does anyone think I should keep it if my primary purpose is racing? Right now I can raise and lower sails single handed without much trouble, and from what I understand full battens will make that even easier. So I don't really have a sail handling problem as of now.

Also, is 8 oz dacron to heavy if my primary purpose is racing?

There's no question this sail being new will be a big upwind and light air boost to my performance, but would I be better buying the sail I want and spending more? They are offering it finished (boxes, battens, numbers etc..) for $950.00

Appreciate your input - thanks!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
First a lot of big one design classes like the J24, J80 and J105 have stayed with dacron mains to control cost and they seem to work fine and have a good life as racing sails go

That being said most boats i race on use and everyday sail for fun time and race sails for racing only

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Main sail's materil weight is not too important even for racing. A full batten sail will resume its shape even it is heavy. Racers normally use a sail maximum for two seasons. Therefore material is not that important. Even the best material from new syntethics loose their form nearly in the same period as dacron.
Old 08-04-2011

Thanks tommays and celenoglu. Any thoughts on the stack-pak and if I should have it removed?
Old 08-04-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
Keeping the stack pack really depends on your boat. One of the boats on the dock has one. He has to bring a step ladder down from his truck to be able to reach the zipper. My only experince was on a charter, I could see no easy way to get it out of the way so rather than reefing, we just dropped the sail and motored when the wind picked up.

Some folks love them, I'm not a fan. That said, I don't think it will hurt your racing performance as long as you retain easy access to all your sail controls.
Old 08-04-2011

Hi Cptken -

The stack pack on this sail has accomodations for reefing lines, cunningham, etc.. built in - i gather their are alot of 'stack packs' that don't have all the features doyle designed into theirs, when they removed the c from pack and made it stack pak.

S
Old 08-04-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You must have a smaller boat for a main to be 950 out the door. And for smaller boats the main while important, if you have the ability to fly a 155, that is usually BIGGER than a main by 1.5-2 times, so a new main even with dacron will help. With that. Ullman has a nice panel sewn laminate that is usually the same price as a dacron if you want to look that direction.

Frankly, I think you found a good deal overall. Altho I prefer a top 2 full lower partial for what I have found to be easier sail shaping ability, and reefing when need be. Then again, i o not have a stack pack ether.

marty
Old 08-08-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
For optimum performance
1 - get rid of the stack pack
2 - Get your boat measured, and compare it to the measurements on the 'new' sail. Not all boats have the same numbers. Remember, they're trying to unload their mistake.
3 - I've never heard of a deal like this going well, but then again, no one ever complains about something that works out perfectly.

celenoglu, Maybe I misunderstood you. Can you please provide a link or article that describes how polyester holds it shape just as long as a high tech laminate? This has not been my experience.
Old 08-08-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I do not like stack paks, they are a royal pain. I have used ones by Doyle, Quantum and a few others.

Give me lazy jacks that stow at the gooseneck and a real sail cover. Simple, elegant and effective.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-08-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
All sail materials loose their shapes during use. Polyester looses its shape The fibers ae generally broken during the keeping process and the sail looses the shape. this is my experience.