Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2011

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road
Inflatable PFD's

Anyone have a recommendation on a good one? Defender has some good deals right now and we were looking at Mustang but there is so many of them. Looking for something comfortable enough that I will where most all of the time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
If you are planning on wearing it most of the time you must be sailing in some ruff conditions. you may want to consider one that has a safety harness built in MD3184 is the one we use for our race crews on the fore deck
Old 08-05-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
If you are planning on wearing it most of the time you must be sailing in some ruff conditions. you may want to consider one that has a safety harness built in MD3184 is the one we use for our race crews on the fore deck
+1 a very comfortable pfd. The zippered closure beats the heck of the velcro closure on my old pfd. The fabric on the neck is really nice.

Yes, they are expensive, but worth every cent.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-05-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
When I leave the cockpit, I wear a Sospenders automatic inflatable with D rings for a harness. Have only used the harness a few times, but I was glad the D rings were there. I also wear a belt-pac manual inflatable. On the belt there is also a pouch with a few handheld flares and a waterproof VHF radio. If I go over, I want to make sure that I can A. Float and B. Call for help.

Mike
Old 08-05-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
We have these ones, Inflatable PFD with Hydrostatic Inflation Technology (HIT) MD3153, no need for a harness for the kind of sailing we do. However, if we are on the boat and not at the dock/mooring or below, then we wear them. I guess it's your choice whether to restrict their use to only poor weather, personally I don't even notice I have it on so I leave it on. I'd rather fall in the drink wearing it than the alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We have Spinlock Deckvest inflatables that we wear when weather is rough. They come standard with a harness buckle, knife, whistle, beacon and spray hood. They also have crotch straps to keep the inflated vest from riding over your shoulders if you are in the drink, although, some find those uncomfortable and can easily be removed. They are, however, a very important safety feature as all life vests want to do this. The idea is to keep as much of your body out of the water as possible.

Some models have a pocket for a PLB. Personally, I find the unit to be the most comfortable as the part around my neck is rounded and doesn't chafe. We also have a couple of West Marine inflatables that I wouldn't want to wear for very long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-05-2011

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road
We don't plan on sailing in really rough weather but since they are so comfortable to wear I would like to get in the habit of wearing them all the time.
Old 08-05-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
Great habit to get everyone onboard into. Befor the docklines go off, the vests go on. It may be overkill but it's my boat so it's my rules.
Old 08-05-2011

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road
Another +1 for the MD3184, We find them very comfortable to wear. For the sailing we do normally they are probably much more than we need, but I always try to buy with future use in mind.
Old 08-05-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Another vote for the MD3184 or equal. I have 2 or 3 before the hydrostatic option came out, I want to say a model 3054?!?!? and I bought my kids 3184s a few yrs later for xmas. Spouse a bright pink 3184 vs her blue 3054, which is now a spare. i also have a WM equal, not near as comfortable to wear as the Mustangs. I would spend the extra for the 3184 vs the 3054 pill models if one was looking at both. The better option if it is really wet out.

The D-ring models are nice, even if you sail in reasonably protected waters like I do in the salish sea, but in heavier winds and seas, I do setup jacklines when racing etc, this seems to lesson the nerves for those going forward to be clamped to the boat, so one is I do not want to say riskier in movements, but less worried/nervous is the best I can come up with the words I am looking for. Dad is less worried about losing daughter in the drink too!

Marty