SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ice box insulation

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mcain 
#1 ·
When my boat was built thay used just fiberglass insulation around the Ice box and it looses ice quikly. I wont to re insulate and am thinking of using the foam that you spray out of a can. Can any one tell me is that has a very good insulation factor. I know thay make a two part fome that you just pour togetin and it takes off. What do you think

#2 ·
The standard "best" insulation is the extruded styrofoam, also known as Dow "Blue Board". Available in lumber yards in various thicknesses and not real expensive. Its a board-like material and can easily be cut or sawn. Also available in a pink variety. This is not the standard white styrofoam that cups are made of--same material, different process.
The pour in foam was commonly used in the past and has good insulating properties, but it should be sealed against moisture. It also is a tremendous mess. It gets on stuff and is very hard to clean up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.