SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wheel with 1' square shaft; useless? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/77292-wheel-1-square-shaft%3B-useless.html)

McMikeJr 08-07-2011 06:49 PM

Wheel with 1' square shaft; useless?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I got all excited because I found a great deal on a 36" classic wheel. I didn't consider that that shaft opening, rather that being round and keyed, is 1 1/16" SQUARE. Any idea what manufacturer used a square steering shaft (where it attaches to the pedestal). Edson's are all round. Does anybody know of an adaptor or something?

Hoping I didn't just toss my money away...

thanks in advance!

MSter 08-07-2011 08:36 PM

You might be able to have an adapter milled at a machine shop, although it will probably be cost prohibitive and not very safe. To my knowledge, ship wheels of this type are generally ornamental and are not fabricated robust enough to be used for steering.

McMikeJr 08-07-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSter (Post 759565)
You might be able to have an adapter milled at a machine shop, although it will probably be cost prohibitive and not very safe. To my knowledge, ship wheels of this type are generally ornamental and are not fabricated robust enough to be used for steering.

Hmmm, interesting thought. The thing is SOLID, and very heavy, but I understand your point. I know somebody nearby that could answer that question, maybe I'll run over and have him look at it this week. Thanks for that, hadn't even considered it...

Mike

mitiempo 08-07-2011 10:33 PM

It looks well made.
Wooden wheels on a sailboat usually but not always have an external ring of wood to prevent someone from falling into the spokes. It would suit a traditional boat with quadrant steering best probably. I have seen many like that on older commercial fishboats as well. On an Edson Pedestal a stainless wheel covered with elk hide is a good choice.

McMikeJr 08-08-2011 07:08 AM

We'll see what happens today when I get it looked at. My boat is a 1963 Spencer 35, a traditional early-fiberglass design with a full keel and steep rake on the rudderpost. The angle of the rudderpost necessitates a quadrant system.

Mike

HDChopper 08-08-2011 07:59 AM

If that puppy's center is an 1' or better thick , and you get a NICE SNUG fit on the shaft should be allright IMHO

I would add a SS ring to the spokes just because...

mitiempo 08-08-2011 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Spencer 35 is a good design of the type. A neighbor lives on hull # 31. He was the person that started the owner's group.

Is this your boat - previously Leola and Rajence? It is hull #8 and was in Illinois

McMikeJr 08-08-2011 01:03 PM

Yes and no, that photo is from the web site, and it's my boat, but it's not Ill. That's off the coast of California, where she was before Jack Bibly bought her from my Grandpa in Ventura, CA. He renamed her Rajence. Before that her name was Christy Lee. She's Christy Lee again and will remain that way. Leola is my Grandmother's name. Good find! She's a great boat, smack dab in the middle of a major overhaul. Ask your neighbor if he's see the site lately. Larry, the current webmaster, has been BUSY. I'm a moderator and try to stay as involved as I can.

mitiempo 08-08-2011 01:51 PM

Yes, he has seen the site recently. It needs a bit of work. The problem with a forum is you need lots of members to make it work well - like here at Sailnet.

McMikeJr 11-29-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 759869)
Yes, he has seen the site recently. It needs a bit of work. The problem with a forum is you need lots of members to make it work well - like here at Sailnet.

We're working on that. We've got a few regular posters, and the hits are creeping up. With such a small run of hulls from a now-extinct builder it's really important we get people together!