Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-17-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
The CG Auxiliary does not get paid, they do it as a public service. In general the CG and many local authorities will be less inclined to board if they see the sticker, though it is not an absolute free pass.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Definitely worth doing, and I've ben told if you have the sticker on your mast the Coast Guard will bypass you for on-water inspections. Not sure if this is true...

Jim
Not true. It only says that at the time that you had the courtesy inspection done, you had all of the required legal equipment. At the very least it tells LE that you were informed of the requirements.

There's nothing stopping you from removing any of the safety equipment once we leave your boat, which is why a boater should not count on not being boarded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Best to be in compliance. The Constitution is suspended once you board your boat and the CG or port police can stop you and board you anytime.

We were boarded once by the port police and they never gave us a reason, but they did "ask" to see all the safety equipment that we had and inspected our registration. They were not polite and had a very aggressive posture. For what reason, I don't know. We are grandparents that had taken two children out that both had life jackets on. We were in compliance on everything they checked and they issued no warnings.

I don't judge them all by the bad apples that stopped us, but there are those that are "hot dogs". A few of those rammed into a pleasure boat at full throttle last year, killing a child on the pleasure boat. I think they were court martialed for it.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 08-18-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mark, the most powerful bombs in the US non-nuclear arsenal are "hyperbaric" bombs, aka "fuel air" bombs. Based on a finely atomized spray of diesel fuel. And then there's ANFO, a favorite of terrorists, also built on diesel fuel.

So while blowers are not required in diesel systems, and diesel is damned reluctant to explode, it can and does make a nice fine explosion if you have a high pressure leak spraying finely atomized diesel fuel in just the wrong way. Some folks say a blower should be used with diesel anyway, just in case.

A blower also will help to cool down a diesel engine after you shut it down, which will also help cool down the whole boat faster on a hot summer afternoon, and help keep the oil in the engine from cooking after shut-down.

So, not necessary, but not entirely wasted either.
Old 08-18-2011

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
The courtesy inspection can be done by either the CG Aux or Power Squadron. I usually use the Power Squadron. Does the sticker help you from being boarded...maybe, maybe not, but sure can't hurt to have one.
The inspectors don't just look at your boat, but use the inspection to start a dialog about boating safety and answer questions. I highly recommend everyone to get an inspection. Well worth the time and effort.
Old 08-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
The courtesy inspection can be done by either the CG Aux or Power Squadron. I usually use the Power Squadron.
I wasn't sure if USPS did them as well, or I would have mentioned them. Thanks!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2011

branmiller is on a distinguished road
I have heard of installing them on diesels

So when you get where you are going on a hot windless day, you can blow the hot air out of the engine compartment. Supposedly really helps cool the boat down.
Old 08-19-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I keep two blowers in my diesel engine compartment. One is a large "squirrel cage" dedicated to the operation of my generator to assure CO fumes don't collect,- another big issue. Over my propulsion engine I run a little plastic $25 exhaust fan. These plastic fans last about five years; therefore, I could use them for fifty years before the cost would match the price of the big "squirrel cage". Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 09-21-2011

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Blower is required, by certain rules

This spring I got a 2004 Catalina 36 and had it surveyed. The surveyor was checking to see if the blower was working and I stated my surprise that it even existed on a diesel. I have never noticed one before and have never used them. He said that it was a requirement by certain yacht building rules so the later model boats included them, but nobody ever used them because diesel boats don't have a habit of blowing up like the old gas ones did.

Engine compartment blower switch is a discrete little toggle switch on the bottom of the engine control pod. I've chartered similar boats in the past and never noticed it.

GJ
Old 09-21-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It is not a requirement on a diesel powered boat.