Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
I’m pretty old school and like the security of a knot. Besides, on my 34 footer, I run 3/8 inch reefing lines (sta-set) so the weight savings would be minimal unless I went to something like ¼ inch (way to small for my liking!). It has been my experience that conditions rarely deteriorate so rapidly that you would need to go from full hoist to double or triple reef in a couple of hours so why have the 2nd reef reeved all the time where all it is doing is flogging the leach of that tape drive sail? When conditions warrant, I’ll reeve the 2nd reef while still at the dock. For me, it is no big deal to reeve it while under sail. I do it after the first reef is set and the main is trimmed. I have no problem standing on the leeward weather deck and reaching up to tie a knot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
For me, it is no big deal to reeve it while under sail. I do it after the first reef is set and the main is trimmed. I have no problem standing on the leeward weather deck and reaching up to tie a knot.
You'd have to be 10 feet tall to reach the second reef cringle 12 feet off the deck AFTER the first reef is in on my boat. It simply isn't realistic to reeve reefing lines on a good-sized offshore boat if the reefs are at all deep.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2011

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
Not sure how practical this is, as I've never tried it:
Some time ago I read an article about a reefing setup where the guy had one line and a s/s hook with an eye welded to it.
the hook was lifted to the cringles by putting the eye on a boat hook and dropping the hook into the reefing cringles. That way, only one reefing line; the line doesn't have to be reaved through the cringle; use the same hook and line for each reef!
(there's going to be some flapping of Dacron, I think, when moving from reef 1 to reef 2)
Old 08-12-2011

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
Not sure how practical this is, as I've never tried it:
Some time ago I read an article about a reefing setup where the guy had one line and a s/s hook with an eye welded to it.
the hook was lifted to the cringles by putting the eye on a boat hook and dropping the hook into the reefing cringles. That way, only one reefing line; the line doesn't have to be reaved through the cringle; use the same hook and line for each reef!
(there's going to be some flapping of Dacron, I think, when moving from reef 1 to reef 2)
This solution give a 1:1 purchase when reefing, if the winch can handle the load it should work.

Think I whould have tied the first reef in after pulling in, that way the hook will be ready for the next also.
Old 08-12-2011

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I’m not communicating the method Knuterikt and I are using very well. We have a small (1/8 inch Dacron in my case) line that is sewn together with a “pigtail” forming a continuous loop between the reefing cringles. After the first reef is set, we tie the 2nd reefing line to the “pigtail” (my reef lines are finished in a Flemish loop). We then hoist the 2nd reefing line up through the higher cringle like one would hoist a burgee on a flag halyard. We keep “hoisting” until the line is through the 2nd cringle and back down to the boom where we re-tie the line around the boom and are ready to go to the 2nd reef whenever we need to. When in 2nd reef, I can untie my first reef line and use it for my 3rd reef using the same technique. It is pretty simple and easy and takes little more time than it does to read this description. I may be a giant amongst sailnetters, but in real life I’m only six feet which is tall enough to reach my boom and my tag line.
Old 08-14-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
ok ... trying to understand this more clearly ...

all I can say is ... pictures please?