SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   storing reefing lines, not rigged (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/77425-storing-reefing-lines-not-rigged.html)

sandycohen 08-11-2011 09:19 AM

storing reefing lines, not rigged

Hi All -

I came to the terrific realization last night that my reefing lines were several distorting my mainsail shape in light air by collapsing the roach. I've been struggling since I boat the boat with light air main trim, and the big issue was really just the weight of the lines.

So, does anyone have tips on how to store these at the aft end of the boom when not rigged in the mainsail? They are in-boom lines, so I really don't want to totally derig them by pulling through the boom, because getting them back would be a nightmare. They do need to be somewhat out of the way though.

2nd question - could I use a 1/8" reefing line, so i could keep them rigged but reduce weight? Obviously this would be very hard to grip, but it would be alot lighter. I don't love the idea of being out with no ability to quickly reef, but there's no way I'm going back to the issues I was having.

Thanks All!

rbrasi 08-11-2011 11:22 AM

Excellent question- I had this exact problem the other day.

SVAuspicious 08-11-2011 11:44 AM

Can you put a stopper knot in the end of the reefing line and pull them up against the sheave at the aft end of the boom? That's how I stow my second and third reefs when I'm not offshore.

sandycohen 08-11-2011 11:47 AM

Brilliant!

SVAuspicious 08-11-2011 12:59 PM

I coil my reefing lines in two parts, the first for the deployed position and the rest to take up the slack to the stopper knot. Makes re-reeving faster and easier with one less trip to the mast. YMMV.

knuterikt 08-11-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandycohen (Post 761036)
Hi All -

I came to the terrific realization last night that my reefing lines were several distorting my mainsail shape in light air by collapsing the roach. I've been struggling since I boat the boat with light air main trim, and the big issue was really just the weight of the lines.

So, does anyone have tips on how to store these at the aft end of the boom when not rigged in the mainsail? They are in-boom lines, so I really don't want to totally derig them by pulling through the boom, because getting them back would be a nightmare. They do need to be somewhat out of the way though.

2nd question - could I use a 1/8" reefing line, so i could keep them rigged but reduce weight? Obviously this would be very hard to grip, but it would be alot lighter. I don't love the idea of being out with no ability to quickly reef, but there's no way I'm going back to the issues I was having.

Thanks All!

To prevent the line from going into the boom - just tie a figure 8 at the end.
But it will be a little difficult to thread them back when needed.

Some options:
1) Use "naked dyneema" reefing lines (remove the cover on the part the is outside the boom - weigthing the sail) dyneema is stronger/lighter/less friction. Keepin the cover on the pulling part so its better for the hands

2) Attach thinner (reeving) line to the end of the existing ones, use these to pull inn the reefing lines when needed (through the cringle and back to the boom)

3) Using a light rope (uncovered dynema) creat an endless loop between the clew and the first reef cringle, with a small tail (Looking like the letter Q).
When you need to reeve the reef, attach the reefing line to the tail of the Q and pull i through.
Add same type of loop between the other reef cringles

SVAuspicious 08-11-2011 02:06 PM

In my experience if it isn't already reeved when you need it then it is too late. Boat is bouncing, boom is swinging, something else is going wrong - not good. Don't invest much energy into the ability to reeve late in the game. Near home if you want to stow the reefing lines that's fine. In fact that is what I do. Don't kid yourself you'll be able to re-rig.

Offshore I leave all three reefs fully rigged no matter how light the air is.

GeorgeB 08-11-2011 02:55 PM

I’m with Knuterikt. I usually leave a stopper knot in my reef #2 line and keep it on the boom. I too, have a “tag line” with a “pig tail” reeved on a continuous loop between reef 1 and 2 cringles. My reef lines are finished with Flemish eyes so it is very easy to reeve the 2nd reef line while under way. If I have to go the reef #3, I untie reef #1 line and re-reeve it using the reef 2 and 3 tag line. The only thing I disagree with Knuterikt is I think dyneema is too slippery to effectively hold a knot so I would keep the covers on. Besides, unless you are looking for less weight aloft, something like Sta-set will satisfy the creep and stretch needs of a reefing line.

arf145 08-11-2011 05:54 PM

We've got two reefs rigged at all times. I prefer to have them ready to go even though we only sail in the Chesapeake because we need that 2nd reef over 20knots. Different boats, different needs. But if your boat needs a reef in the kinds of conditions that can come up in your locale, I think reefing lines are no good unless they are already there.

To keep the lines from interfering with sail shape (such as it is with our old sack of a main! :) ) we pull some slack in the reef lines back at the leech.

knuterikt 08-11-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeB (Post 761156)
The only thing I disagree with Knuterikt is I think dyneema is too slippery to effectively hold a knot so I would keep the covers on. Besides, unless you are looking for less weight aloft, something like Sta-set will satisfy the creep and stretch needs of a reefing line.

If knots in the uncovered dyneema is an issue this could be solved with an eye splice in the end combined with a softshackle