SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

wheel/binnacle

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Great forum! My wife and I have made the switch from a wheel back to a tiller on our Columbia 34'' and now are looking for a good home for it. I am throwing in everything with this, the binnacle, SS crash bar, compass, wooden spoke wheel, all four pulleys, quadrant, chain/cable, rubber padded quadrant stops, folding wood cockpit table and 3 drink holder and blue sunbrella cover. I am not looking at making big bucks, but want it out of the garage since we are selling our house and living aboard. Will accept any reasonable offer or barter of other sailboat equipment. Contact me at bpengelke@kcwilsonco.com and I can send you pictures and particulars.

#2 ·
May the buyer Beware! Used steering components are subjected to huge loads during the life of a yacht along with corrosion issues. Unless the components are well maintained and adjusted properly, they can leave you stranded without steering on your boat. Also, find out what brand of steering system that is for sale. Yacht Specialties and Merriman have been out of business for years and replacement and service parts are near impossible to find. Steering systems are typically designed to meet the specifications of a particular yacht. Don''t assume that a system for one boat will fit another as items such as the quadrant are bored to fit a specific size rudder post. Would you put used steering or shocks on a car if you wanted to upgrade it?

#4 ·
I have a Merriman wheel any body can have.
I took it off my Capri 30 the first week I owned it. That boat did not deserve to be burdened with a wheel. The time it took to get the wheel off was determined by the time it took me to make a template from the tiller on another boat, find a piece of ash, and whittle out a brand new tiller.
I could not imagine sitting on the transom, and being trapped there by that wheel. I did not even want to think about being out in the middle of Lake Michigan with a fresh breeze and the resulting waves, and having to steer the boat with an emergency tiller of something just over a foot long, for hours, when something in the wheel system let go.

The Boat Came Alive When I Put The Tiller On.

My e-mail above is wrong -- Sailnet won''t except the right one.

Walt Ward --- Boyne City, Mich.
waltw@twin-valley.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.