Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-15-2003

pblais is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

I have a 1989 with a painted deck and I am looking for alternatives for restoring the nonskip. The original nonskid was painted (not molded) The current deck was painted over with a plain Interlix gloss and so destroyed a good part of the nonskid properties. After slipping on a wet deck this has to change.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2003

windancer1 is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

I have the same problem, what I am going to do is re make the molded in non-skid with gel coat. Check out mini-craft.com and go to the gibco-flex page.

Dave R.
Old 08-16-2003

Non skid decks

Given I don''t have any Gel Coat on the deck in any place I can''t see myself grinding down the whole deck and starting over from sqaure one.

This seems like a better approach for those with some areas to repair.
Old 08-17-2003

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Non skid decks

I''d try repainting it with a paint that includes a non-skid compound. Interlux sells such an additive. There are others.

I am also in the process redoing decks. So far, I have had success with masking the area and painting with Interlux primer, then sprinkling old fashion walnut shell on primer paint. After it sets and I brush away the excess, I painted over it with Muralo laytex epoxy deck paint (Sandstone color to contrast the white non non-skid areas. Great traction!

This is what I have done and it works well for me. The Interlux web site at www.yachtpaint.com has info, I believe. There are other options also. Check the sailnet store.
Old 08-17-2003

phunter is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

You have many options before you.
1) Paint with interlux that includes the non-skid.
2) Paint any deck paint and sprinkle on interlux non-skid granules.
3) Same as 2 but use clean sand.
4) Apply treadmaster that is not cheap but is suposed to last a long time.
Old 08-18-2003

mrputzo is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

I have redone my non-skid deaks on my 32 foot Pearson with a product called ultra-tuff. It can be rolled, brushed or sprayed on. I really like the look and feel of the product and think it is supiorer to any other method short of rolling out new gelcoat. I did all the prep work myself and than had someone spray the deck. The have a web site which I think is www.Ultratuff.com. If that is not it try a Google search on Ultratuff. I would be more than happy to share my experience in detail.

Good Luck

Good luck
Old 08-18-2003

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

On my decks we used the Interluck non-skid additive with Interthane Plus paint. On the non-skid sections a flattening compound was added and the overall effect is very nice. Two coats were needed to get a good coverage and the method of application was rolling it on.

The pros of this is that it looks good and is easily applied. The cons are that it is not an aggressive non-skid and traction could be better.

Mike
Old 08-18-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

We just repainted with Epifanes non-skid paint, following Pracical Sailors excellent recommendation. We couldn''t be more pleased. Extremely easy to apply, and the finish is good and non-skid while not being too tough on bare skin (our last boat had coarse *something* (sand?) mixed into Interthanes but it was murder on the knees and butts.

My only complaint about Epifanes is the narrow color range, although their literature says you can buy the granules seperately and mix into any color you want.

Good luck
Stacey
www.sailnamaste.com
Old 08-19-2003

Non skid decks

mrptzo,

I checked out the www.utratuff.net web site and I think I agree it appears to be the way for me to go. I was on a boat last year where the owner used clean beach sand and put too much on. Funny thing was the day before he had stubbed his toe on the deck and wore off a lot skin. He was hurting in a bad way.I myself slipped on my deck eary this year in the rain and feel. I was lucky I was not hurt.

I like the idea of a rubber based non skid.

For others reference the official name of the product is Tasman Ultra Tuff. being a waterbased product it appears to be a nice product for a do it yourself.

It appears the pre work is to basically scrape off the losse stuff and abrade the whole suface with a course paper then prime and apply two coats.

I expect I''ll want to get a gallon or two without the nonskid so I can repaint the non deck portions and the spaces between the non skid areas so that will make it a second round of two coats.
Old 08-19-2003

ross99 is on a distinguished road
Non skid decks

Tasman Ultra Tuff sounds like a good product but who sells it?