SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

HELP! Mystery leak is flooding my boat!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  john326 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Wonder if you could pressurize the interior of the boat (by closing it up and sticking the exhaust side of a shop vac into the cabin using lots of towels/rags to seal around the hose) and then look for the source of the leak on the outside with soapy water.

#3 ·
I think part of the problem is that you're focusing on where the drips are. Odds are, that's just where the water exits. I'd suspect it's coming in through handrails, or something else that's installed where a screw goes through the cabin top. Water looks for the path of least resistance, so never assume where the drip exits is indicative of where it's entered.

#5 ·
What erps said.

TQA, you simply CAN"T CAUSE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO A BOAT with a shopvac or leaf blower. Please, don't repeat nonsense as fact.

I've done this multiple times on multiple boats and unless you've borrowed the jet turbine engine from a ski area's snow-blowing system, you can't hurt a thing on the boat.

Doc, if you pressurize the boat and throw soapy water on deck, you'll see biubbles blowing from the place where the water gets in. Which may be yards from where it is running out below.

Just be careful, a soapy deck can be incredibly slick. Don't ask me why I know that.

#6 ·
Hi

We had a similar problem with our C&C 32. We found the leak(s) to be the companion way cover. Removed and re bedded the cover. The cover is where the companion way top slides under. We discovered it was leaking by using a hose around the grooves that drain water. Good luck..

cheers
-allen

#7 ·
Hi

We had a similar problem with our C&C 32. We found the leak(s) to be the companion way cover. Removed and re bedded the cover. The cover is where the companion way top slides under. We discovered it was leaking by using a hose around the grooves that drain water. Good luck..

cheers
-allen
That's my suspicion as well. Thanks for the advice. Did you use butyl tape or caulking to seal the screw holes?

#8 ·
I think we used 101 on our C&C. That was our sealant of choice back then. However, thanks to Mainesail's advice on this forum we will use Butyl Tape for any leaks on our current boat. We purchased 4 rolls of the tape from Mainesail..

Before we discovered the companion way cover we looked at rails, mast ... It wasn't that much work to reseal the cover once you removed all of those screws. I hope you solve the leak.

cheers
-allen

#11 ·
I found on my C&C design the bottom molding on the inside of the companionway had to be resealed to the outside molding.
The water on the slider would run towards the cockpit down over the lip and run back inside the companion way. Then drip down onto the counter.
The inside cabin ceiling mold, would direct the water coming from the base of the mast or hand railings. That direction was aft and to the aft center of the mold, so it could drip over the bilge.

#13 ·
Handrails have been re-bed, no leaks from those. Did some water testing this afternoon, since it wasn't raining in Vancouver, imagine that. Seems it is the hatch cover panel, took a while to show up but it definitely seems to be the source. As previously noted I would like to see pics of the boat with the panel and hatch cover removed if anyone has them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.