Battery Charger - ProSport 12 - VGM vs. Gel settings - Problem - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2011

fahnke is on a distinguished road
Battery Charger - ProSport 12 - VGM vs. Gel settings - Problem

I recently purchased the ProSport 12 battery charger and installed it on my Ranger 29. I have two newer (November, 2010) 12 volt deep-cycle batteries (these: http://www.dynobattery.com/Spec24M.pdf ) and there was no charger on the boat before I purchased this one.

There are three settings for the charger depending on battery type: 1) Standard flooded AGM (14.6 VDC absorption, 13.4 VDC float) 2) GEL cell - 14.1 VDC absorption, 13.8 VDC float - and 3) AGM high performance - 14.7 VDC absorption 13.6 VDC float.

Depending on battery type, the user installs one of three caps which sets the charging profile (either 1, 2 or 3 above). I accidentally installed the cap for AGM high performance batteries and the batteries charged up within a couple of hours. Two days went by and I was re-reading the ProSport 12 manual and I noticed I should have installed the cap corresponding to the standard battery, #1. I promptly took out the high performance cap and replaced it with the standard. The next morning there was a pungent, sulfuric, almost bilge-like smell coming from the batteries - AND, the batteries were NOT charged at all. I think I boiled my batteries, correct? That sulfur smell is "boiled battery". I then switched the cap BACK to the high performance one and am now wondering what the hell happened.

I think that I over-charged the batteries, yet I went from starting with a "high performance/higher" setting to a "standard/lower" setting. After I switched the cap back to the high performance one there was a slight noise coming from the batteries - I think it was the sound of boiling. NOT good. I've unplugged the charger and am keeping the batteries VERY well ventilated. I don't want a hydrogen explosion. The batteries are now cooled down, and there is no noise and less smell. I'm leaving it unplugged until I learn more.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I should purchase two new batteries, correct? Your answers are appreciated. Thanks!

This is the charger I installed: http://www.pmariner.com/productFeatu...oductNum=42012

Last edited by fahnke; 08-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would continue using the batteries and see how they perform. Their life may have been reduced but most batteries can take a bit of abuse.

I'm not exited about that charger. It has no internal protection, and no access to internal fuses if there are any. I recently threw one in the garbage after a shorted battery destroyed it and replaced it with a Xantrex which I think is a much better product. And interestingly the new Xantrex Truecharge2 10 amp charger is even less expensive than the Prosport as well.

Tags
agm , battery charger , gel , prosport , smell