Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By knothead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Lazy jacks

Having just managed to do a line splice around a thimble (of which I am suitably proud ), I am going to tackle the issue of lazy jacks, or lack thereof, on my boat.
I'm thinking of attached a padeye to each spreader and then having a line coming down, terminating in a thimble about 3ft up from the boom, and slightly less than half way along. I'll then thread a line from about 1/4 way along the boom, up through the thimble and then down to about 3/4 the way along the boom to form the cradle. These two points are roughly where my vang and mainsheet attach. In order to not have to use blocks up top, or some other arrangement like that, I'm thinking of just having a couple of snap ring type fittings so I can unclip the cradle line from the boom and stow the whole thing at the mast to keep it out of the way. My rough measurements show that it should not need any adjustable components in order to swing neatly underneath the vang and attach at the base of the mast.
So there's the plan, that sound about right to you more experienced folk?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Paul,

We just installed EZ jacks on our boat. I highly recommend thier design if you are going to make them yourself. The deploy very easily and when not in use stow saelt under the boom, out of the way.

I would put small bullet blocks on the spreaders, run the pulling lines for deployment through these to two small cleats on either side of the mast just below boom height.
The other end of the line ould attach to a ring, which when the line is pulled ( deployed ) upward would be about 1/2 up the mast. Running 23 lines from the ring to differing intervals through smal bales on the underside of the boom to form triangles between which the sail will fall.

This may not be described well but look at the design on the ez jack site. These are the best, unobtrusive ones I have ever used

Lazy Jack System - EZ-JAX

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-16-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Paul, It took a lot longer to write the lazy jack post than I thought.
Your system sounds like it would work fine.
That's the thing about lazy jacks. There is a bunch of different ways to make them.
I've described the system that I favor in the other thread. And some of the reasons why.
ismwo likes this.
Old 08-16-2011

Same kind of idea, but without the blocks, cleats etc. Here's a crappy diagram (the angles are all wrong, but you get the idea):

Grey line on the left is the vang, other grey line is the main sheet.
Point A is a padeye attached to the spreader with the red line to Point B, an eyesplice around a thimble.
Point C is a spring hook attached to the fitting where the main sheet block attaches. Point D is a spring clip with an eye through which the green line goes. Green line will either be one continuous line from C, up through B, down to D, under the boom, back to B on the other side down to C again on the other side, or maybe a separate line each side, haven't decided.
To secure it for sailing, unclip D, unclip C and swing it under the vang where it should reach point E where it can all be secured.
Clear as mud eh?

Old 08-25-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
here are some more diagrams to make your own
Lazy Jacks

Old 09-17-2011

Is there a way, other than drilling/tapping, to attach a padeye to the spreader? I want to avoid drilling holes if possible.

Old 09-17-2011

endoit is on a distinguished road
I am at the same stage but I am also in need of a new main. I am considering a duchman system. Is one easier to control than another? How do you stow all those lines during storms?
Old 09-17-2011

Jd1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Is there a way, other than drilling/tapping, to attach a padeye to the spreader? I want to avoid drilling holes if possible.
How difficult would it be to remove the spreader and have an attachment point welded on ?
Old 09-17-2011

Ummm, very. Rigger to take it down, welder to weld it (if it can even be welded), rigger to put it all back up again.

Old 09-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You might consider attaching the points on the spreaders with all-stainless hose clamps, as a way of avoiding drilling - esp if the spreaders are tubular rather than foil sectioned.

Also, if you're going to make them 'removable/detachable' then making the lower portions out of shock cord works well.. that's what we do; we clip each side to the cabin top rails while sailing (and hoisting) and simply deploy the jacks as a pre-douse ritual. This eases the hoist as you don't have a narrow gate to thread the headboard through, and takes the jacks off the sail and rig to minimize noise and chafe.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)