Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-17-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Repairing an Autohelm Drive Unit

Wondering if anyone has had experience in repairing an Autohelm linear drive unit. This is part of a Autohelm 5000 sail mounted below deck and it is the electrical "type 1" push / pull unit. Picture is below.

When you pull and push the ram unit you hear a rumbling noise. The local Raymarine dealer is saying it's a writeoff; apparently the ram is a worm type full of ball bearings and once you put it apart all the ball bearings fall out and you can never get it back in.

Any advice / comments appreciated.

Ilenart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Raymarine offer a fixed cost repair on out of warranty repairs. For part number M81130 linear drive type 1 short stroke 12v drives the cost is $575 in the USA.
Old 08-17-2011

Mirari is on a distinguished road
I've had terrible luck dealing with Raymarine on Autopilots. As a result I updated to a Simrad system. I have a working drive for an Autohelm 5000 for a lot less than the $575 repair cost. Sent me a private message if you are interested.
Old 08-17-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
That is called a recirculating ball nut, and they are widely used in CNC machine tools. Usually the balls get beat up first, then the nut, and finally the shaft. They also get noisy well before they die. Re-balling them is a common thing to do on the commercial units. Some are designed not to be re-balled. However at this point taking it apart isn't going to make it any worse. It is very easy to get new balls. On some designs they actually adjust the clearance by loading larger balls. If it were mine I'd certainly take a whack at it.

Gary H. Lucas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.