Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Pearson 35; moving wheel aft?

Has anyone every thought of moving the wheel aft on their Pearson 35? The reason is to free up the forward section of the cockpit and to give you more visual. Being so close to the campionway becomes cumbersome at times. Single handling the sailboat, the wheel is in a great position but when you have additional people on the sailboat, the wheel is in the middle of the main traffic path to the cabin.

With two small children, I'm trying to free up space in the cockpit. I thought of moving the traveler either just in front of the wheel or on the cabin but now thinking instead, moving the wheel aft. A lot of work... but I'm doing several large projects on the sailboat now.

Any thoughts or comments?

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
/Users/patrickcoe/Desktop/Desktop/P35/8.2.11/DSC00693.JPG

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 08-19-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Patrick,

I've collected and scrutinzed hundreds of P-35 photos to see how other people have set up their hardware or renovated ... I've never seen one with the wheel aft. That certainly doesn't mean it couldn't be done! I would be concerned that you would be too close to the mainsheets. It would be hard to pull on them or adjust them if they were right at your heels. I'd also look to see if your headsail winches would need to move back ... that also might complicate things a bit.
Old 08-19-2011

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
I've never seen it or even considered it. As David mentioned you would have to be wary of the mainsheet. Although I think I've seen someone move the traveler to the cabin top although that seems like a lot of stress given the size of the boom. Have you checked out the pearson35.com site?

So the question becomes how far back do you need to move it to accomplish your goal? I like being tucked under the dodger when it's blowin' and you're catching spray. And as you mentioned it's in an ideal position for single handing the boat which I like to do (and often have to when my family is on board and everyones taking a nap but me.
Old 08-19-2011
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
why not go with a smaller wheel and a quick change method to put the large wheel on if the weather kicks up?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have never heard of anyone relocating the wheel on a Pearson 35, but I have sailed on one which had been converted a tiller and it really transformed the boat in a positive way. This guy was a single-hander and so he also had a tiller extension which allowed you to get to almost anywhere in forward end of the cockpit.

If you have a dodger, I would not think that the Pearson 35 is a good candidate for a cabin top mounted traveller since that would place the mainsheet so far forward on the boom.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-19-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
I laugh every time I see someone on their 30ish foot sailboat standing at the back end of the cockpit trapped by the Wheel. Just not a style I find appealing. And cumbersome when single or short handing. When I was looking for a boat there was a Pearson 35 at the brokerage and I commented to the broker that the forward position of the wheel was the only logical way to do a wheel on that size of a boat.
Let the kids scamper around the wheel as they go in and out of the cabin, besides, its not like going to the grocery store with automatic doors, its an adventure.
Use the money for something less daunting and more fun.
John
Jeff_H likes this.
Old 08-19-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
If you sail in cold, wet weather the forward wheel keeps you under the dodger - way nicer than being the one out in the rain & wind at 29 degrees!

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-20-2011
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
To Denise's point ... you could put a smaller or folding wheel.

I think the best option for making the P-35's cockpit more friendly would be to move the traveler to a bridge over the companionway hatch ... for mid boom sheeting. I've asked a few owners that have done this all sorts of questions, and it seems to have worked well for them. I've also heard of (I believe a saw a pic too) of someone that put the traveler right in front of the companionway opening at the cockpit-seat level.
Old 08-22-2011

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
I am a former P39 yawl owner for 25 years. I often thought about relocating the wheel aft but never really followed through because that also meant relocating the mainsheet to the cabin trunk and it kept looking like too big a deal. I did recently see a P39 sloop at Cuttyhunk with a wheel moved aft, but with the mainsheet located to just forward of the wheel. I suspect he also shortened the boom a tad since the boom did not reach the wheel. I would be wondering if the benefit justifies the work and cost of relocating. Just my 2 cents.