SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ideas for cockpit shade (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/77750-ideas-cockpit-shade.html)

MarkSF 08-19-2011 12:13 PM

Ideas for cockpit shade

I'd like something that is quick to put up, so we can have some shade back at the dock after a sail, or at anchor, while in the cockpit.

Would be interested in seeing what everyone else out there does.

The boat has a dodger but it doesn't do much good in the late afternoon.

I've seen these hanging sunshades from Blue Performance.

BLUE PERFORMANCE Free Hanging Sunshade at West Marine

Has anyone got one, love them / hate them ?

HPLou 08-19-2011 12:29 PM

When the boat is at the mooring, I use an awning, same material as the dodger, that zippers onto the dodger and hangs from the backstay. It gives plenty of shade on those hot sunny days.

Tempest 08-19-2011 12:33 PM

I'm guessing you mean something other than a bimini with a connector, which is what I have, and love it! I like the shade while on the water too!

That hanging umbrella looks like it would work fine. My boat neighbor purchased one of those Tommy Bahama Beach Umbrellas that they've been selling in Coscos..( less expensive) He just had to cut a slot in it to accomodate his backstay, ( I think he then added some velcro to close the slot) then he worked out some sort of clamp to clamp it on to the top of his Binnacle. The Hanging shade you've shown would appear to work in a similar fashion.
You'd just have to measure to see what might get in the way.

SailKing1 08-19-2011 02:21 PM

I put together a canopy that was made of ripstop nylon and PVC. Took two pieces of 10' PVC and cut in half. Added screw connectors on each end, this allows to separate and stow easily. attached eye-hooks to the caps put on the outer ends and used bungees to secure to lifeline stanchions. All together it cost less than $15. For shade I had a lite weight rip stop 9.5' wide and 10' long and the same made of sunbrella for rainy days. I don't remember the cost of material, I bought it online because it was cheaper than buying locally.

DwayneSpeer 08-19-2011 03:33 PM

Umbrella

Seems to me that a large beach umbrella would be a good alternative and is moveable to block the sun as it gets closer to the horizon.

I have a bimini and removable zipper on connector for full shade but I still get sun when it's low in the sky.

OtterGreen 08-19-2011 04:01 PM

i had an old shade canopy that had ripped mosquito netting. i cut the netting off and saved the canopy which is like a heavy tent fly and held open with collapsable tent poles. i hoist up to the desired height via the halyard and lash the 4 corners. ive used it quite a bit from hot days at anchor to downpours while anchored overnight. works great for me!

centaursailor 08-19-2011 06:37 PM

Bought a pub type folding sun shade, the type that sticks up through the table. Though I would move it round to get shade were needed.:cool:
Can,t say how well it works as the sun rarely peeked out this summer here in Ireland.:mad:
Not giveing up hope though, am buying a hammock for next year:laugher
Safe sailing

Minnewaska 08-19-2011 06:52 PM

Bimini is the way to go. I've seen beach umbrellas work. It shouldn't be too hard to construct something that would temporarily attach to the boom and backstays.

blt2ski 08-20-2011 02:03 AM

I have an 8X12 sunbrella equal tarp that goes over the boom, to the back stay and out to the life lines. Mine is made of a white cloth. So it does not soak up the suns heat. It does let a bit more light than I would like at times. but it is cooler under it than with out! Mine also has a zipper to allow it to be opened on the side, much easier to get in vs crawling under like the original one that came with the boat, also a bit smaller at 6x8.

$400 for mine was pretty reasonable vs a bimini @ $$$$$?????

Marty

Stu Jackson 08-20-2011 11:07 AM

We use a cheap umbrella made to go into the center of a outdoor garden table. Not so great when it's windy...:) Couple of velcro ties onto the binnacle or to the dodger frame works fine.