Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2011
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Sea Gods drop Centerboard....

Yesterday (sunday) took Wyndwitch out knowing conditions were supposed to deteriorate after Noon. the first hour was comfortable under full sail. I reefed when the helm told me to and continued to have a lovely time and eventually reefed the jib (as you need to do on a skipjack style sloop) wind getting pretty brisk sw with occasional whitecaps and some stiff gusts. About two the cloud cover was full and you could see the front sitting just to the north dark wall of clouds and then the wind was gusting to about thirty(but here comes out of the sw) and I decided to reef the main again, This was the first time Ive double reefed and was delighted with how easy the helm was.
About a half hour the waves began to lengthen out and deepen coming from the sw and it was pretty dirty but fun because the boat was taking it so nicely I decided to head home and changed course. Just as I did I hear a loud BOOM/ the boat tilts, stops. starts to swivel in a kind a sicky way and I check the centerboard pennant and yup the board was down and loose.
Mucho instant adrenaline! I drop and tie sails Bang bang bang oh Shte she's gonna bang apart got to get to deep water etc. So gently motored around in direction of deep water, got there. dropped anchor as now the waves are coming up to the bowsprit. anchor sets// breathe. I rigged two swimming lines on starboard side and a rope hitch got the mask and went over to look things over. At this point there was alot of wave action it was kinda hairy under the boat but the pennant was ok it had pulled out of the board. Board weighs 500+ lbs. I tried all the usual stuff girdle lines around the boat etc all was pretty much worthless, board would slip each time I got some purchase. Finally touched a bump on backside of board and realized it was another hole! Ya mon! Long story short after a many many dives rigged up pennant, rigged a backup rig and got the damn thang up enough to get home. When done it was 6:30 and I knew for sure I was no longer a 21 year old bay rat (a 59yr old one!)....and in truth, the sea Gods had been kind....this time was a warning...if you think about it...check it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Wow--nicely done. Sounds like you did a decent impression of a 21-yr-old bay rat for a while there, anyway.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 08-23-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Why couldn't you go home with the board down?
Old 08-23-2011
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
seagods etc

Hi mark
the boat draws 6+ with board down most of the area leading to our canal is about 5 the can canal itself is barely 4 @ flood.
Old 08-23-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Wow. Quite a story! Isn't it a pity that our equipment failure almost always happens when everything is turning to crap? Of course, it is that very same crap that stresses our equipment the most so we ought not to be surprised at the timing. Your lesson was hard learned and very valuable. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
When done it was 6:30 and I knew for sure I was no longer a 21 year old bay rat (a 59yr old one!)....and in truth, the sea Gods had been kind....this time was a warning...if you think about it...check it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS: I'm reminded of a quote from a long ago Andy Capp comic strip: I'm as young as I ever was, just not as often. Gotta love British humor!
Pasadena, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.