SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

water in dinghy tubes

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
On a recent passage through Block Island Sound, we had a forecast for some snotty weather so prior to our departure I deflated my Achilles inflatable and lashed it to the foredeck rather than tow it astern. It was a bumpy ride, and we took a fair amount of spray over the foredeck. At times the rain was quite heavy.

Boat, dinghy and crew all survived (except for one case of mal-de-mer). But later when I went to inflate the dinghy I could hear a fair amount of water sloshing around in the tubes. I'd estimate maybe a quart or so. I had unscrewed the air fill valves on the tubes to allow for faster deflation, and left the valves out. With the valves out, there's a hole of about 1" diameter into the tube. Apparently there was enough rain & spray flying around to get under the cover and and into the tubes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting that water out? I'm thinking that mold or mildew will be forming pretty quickly, so I'm looking for creative ways to dry out the tubes. Ideas?

Larry
"Sail-La-Vie"

#3 ·
I'm not sure if this is advised, but I would consider adding fresh water with about one quarter cup of bleach per gallon to kill any mold and rinse the salt out with pure fresh water. Then you have to figure out how to make that drain the low spot. Is the fill and dump valve the same, or can you inflate and let a blower run with the dump valve open until dry?

#5 ·
Just thinking.. after you get most of the liquid out.. lay it out in the sun a few hours,, fill with air let the air heat up..deflate.. the air will eventually pick up the moisture as it warms up from the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.