Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-25-2011

danmonk is on a distinguished road
Windlass Help

Well after 1 month anchoring in depths of over 100 feet in Desolation sound, I'm ready to replace my manual windlass with an electric one. There are many brands and options. I have 200' 3/8 chain and another 250' nylon rode. My anchor is a 40 pound Spade. The boat a 25,000lb 40' sail. I currently have a horizontal windlass so I'm thinking that the same in a electric is in order. I assume that running it off the main battery bank (480 amp hrs) is the way to go although I will need to run heavy wire about 30'. Any recommendations and info would be of help. Also and tips from people who have installed an electric in place of a manual would be helpful. thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
100' is deep to anchor in. I could imagine the workout with all that chain. The 'Ideal' windlass, to many sailors is the standard.
Old 08-25-2011

saildog1 is on a distinguished road
I installed a Lewmar Horizntal 1000 on my Tartan 3800. I bought the windlass at Defender and all the cable and control wire and assorted shrink tubing and block at genuinedealz.com. I would recommend the wireless remote to control the windlass this will eliminate the need to drill into the deck to install toe switches. The install was pretty easy but running cable from the batteries to the bow was a different story.

I had a 1/4 inch stainless plate made up and used it as a backer plate under the deck. I made up all the cable myself using these huge crimpers specific for Battery cable. I work for a large construction company and the mechanic let me borrow it.
Old 08-26-2011

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmonk View Post
I assume that running it off the main battery bank (480 amp hrs) is the way to go although I will need to run heavy wire about 30'.
Some do it that way and some do as I did a couple years ago when converting from a Lofrans manual to a Lofrans electric. I put a group 31 deep cycle boxed in and vented to the anchor locker on a shelf in the forward area of the forward berth and keep it charged with a Xantrex Echo Charger from the house bank to avoid the expense and hassle of running mega cables 30' (nothing is ever in a straight line). Xantrex Echos have served me well stand alone and built in to the Freedom Charger/Inverter for over 10 years on 2 different boats.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 08-26-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
I used a Maxwell 1500 horizontal windlass, mounted on an aluminum plate (keeps electrolysis to a minimum). Used 1/0 cable to batteries, which is enough, and agree that genuinedealz has the best prices for cable. I have all chain, and am not sure how to deal with the chain/rode issue--guess that you could take the rode up on the capstan side of the windlass and then stopper and switch to the chainwheel, but it seems like a lot of work.
Old 08-26-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I think an Echo Charge works well if it is a thruster that is used for very short periods, but I favor heavy cables from an aft battery bank for a windlass. If you have to re-anchor a time or 2 the forward battery could be down quite a bit and an Echo charge is only going to feed it 15 amps.
Old 08-26-2011

danmonk is on a distinguished road
Thanks very much to everyone! The separate battery was considered, but in the deep anchorages I sometimes have to anchor a few times to get the anchor set correctly. I will check out "genuinedealz" for prices. I currently have to stop and change the rode form the gypsy to the caspan at the chain to rope splice, which is no fun at all!! But I think that the dual drum setup is easier on the nylon rode than running it thru the chain gypsy, based on a friends lewmar vertical. Any comments? Thinking Lewmar H2 or Lofrans Cayman 88. I'll have a look at Maxwell too. I want to mount the new uit under the anchor locker hatch which is where the current one is located, if I can get it to fit. Having a plate mounted under to protect against electrolosis is a great idea (didn't think of that)
Old 08-26-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The Lofrans Cayman (1000 watt version) looks ok but the Lewmar looks a bit light for your boat size and weight.

Use the correct wire. If the run from battery bank to windlass and back is 70' 2/0 gives a 5% voltage drop. For 3% drop you need 4/0.