SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Excessive mast rake (with pic)?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 27ft cruising sailboat (moderate/heavy displacement, long keel, sloop rigged).

The mast is deck stepped, and it is not resting flat on top of its step, but leaning backwards.

I have tried easing the backstay and tightening the forestay as much as possible, but that did not made any noticeable difference.

I have attached a picture to help illustrate the issue. The measuring tape shows a gap of about 0.5cm (0.2 inches) on the forward section:

How much of a problem could this be? Is it something that is normal/acceptable, or does it have to be sorted out as quickly as possible?

Many thanks :) !

See less See more
#3 ·
captainrizzo,

Thanks for the answer.

The survey did not highlight any problems with the rig. I took the mast out this winter to check everything was OK at the top, and to replace a few things.

I can't remember if it was like that before un-masting the boat, or if it was OK and the mast was not put back correctly.

The forestay is as tight as the furler will allow, which means that I know of no other way to increase the tension forward. The whole rig was replaced about 10 years ago, maybe the rigger cut the forestay a bit too long? I don't know..

#6 ·
Irati,

Ignoring the mast step plate for a moment, what's the actual orientation of the mast in relation to vertical? You may have a mast that's oriented fine, but have a little compression problem under the step... Hard to assess without knowing all the variables.

#7 ·
Agreed - hang a plumb bob from a halyard and hoist - that will tell you if the mast is plumb both fore & aft and athwartships. Obviously you must first make sure the boat is floating on its lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.