Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2011

trlrtrsh is on a distinguished road
Port Light/Hole Gasket

I have been searching for gasket material for the ports on my Yorktown 39 without much luck.
The old ones are just that, old. Could very well be 30+ years old. To get a good water tight seal excessive force is required, and probably accounts for the 9 out of 13 ports cracked to some degree. I removed one port light and measured the seal in there now, .43 to .45 by .43 to .45. I am making an assumption the original was 1/2 X 1/2 inch. The port glass is 4"X11"'s. I have read somewhere that you have to order by the foot, install with the ends matching on top, and seal the 2 ends as well as bed the gasket in rubber cement.
What I'm looking for is a contact and more specificly what woud be the best material and sealant.
The ports are Bronze (I think) and cost to replace them would be exhorbinate, and in my opinion of lesser quality.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
The classic material for port light gaskets is felt. When I replaced my almost 30 year old rubber gaskets in my bronze port lights six years ago, I searched around for what I thought would work best and settled on some appropriately sized weather stripping, and I used marine silicone to caulk them in place. This was a terrible solution, and gave me trouble from the beginning.

Then last year I found out about felt. Ordered square felt in the right size, used a little bit of contact cement in the groove to hold them in place a little better (they fit well). Got the felt from a company I found on line who specializes in it, and they cut it for me. Was a bit expensive, and the minimum order was a lot more than I needed (not your size).

Was very easy to install after cleaning the grooves in the port lights. Cut one end on a bevel, and put it in the groove at the top, then lay the felt in the groove until it meets the other end, then bevel it to match the other bevel. Cut it a little long rather than short, since it compresses in length, and will fit in the groove nice and snug against the other end.

Works great. I'll try to find the name of the company I ordered from in my email queue and let you know.
Old 09-04-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
trash, try an RV supply store or an auto glass shop. Both use gasket materials and the RV guys are more likely to have a wide assortment.

Then there's Grainger and McMaster, both online.

If you can post a couple of pix of what kind of gasket you're talking about, there's all kinds, some work better than others.
Old 09-05-2011

Thanks Guy's. I will look into the RV connection, and will try to get a picture of the Gasket in the groove. I was especially intrigued about the Felt Gasket. Very interesting.
Again Thanks for the information.
Steve
Old 09-05-2011

Hello Sailor, Here is a cpl pics of the port/gasket. Well, didn't go as planned, but I did get them on an attatchment, so hit the paper clip above and I think they are there.
Steve

I guess they did post; the first is the port closed from outside, the second is open with the gasket partially pulled out. Kinda hard to make out the track, but the measurements are approx .45" square, the channel is slightly smaller in height, but snug on the existing gasket so width of the channel is aprox. .45" wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Port Light/Hole Gasket-100_0171.jpg   Port Light/Hole Gasket-100_0175.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Looks like old tired rubber. I'd guess you have several options. Either try to find a stock gasket profile that is similar, and glue it up into a "ring" (there are gasket kits that include glue & a little guillotine guide to help kee the edges true) or use a closed-cell foam in a similar rectangular profile, and rely on compression to seal it.

Unless you can track down the maker, or someone like Newfound Metals can hook you up with a better direct source.
Old 09-06-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
The folks who made my felt port light seals are Auburn Manufacturing of Middletown, CT. I have no affiliation with them. They gave me great service. They have a web site at which you can view their products. Site is Auburn Manufacturing - Gasket Material, Custom Gaskets.
Old 09-07-2011

Thanks fryewe;
I emailed the company. Looks like from their site they will have what I need. Price is a big consideration, and If I have to buy a roll a gazillion feet long, I might have to consider other options.
Again; Thanks, Steve