Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-08-2011

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
Self-Tailing Winch

How often should I clean and service my self-tailing winches? What is the best product to use for lubricantion / grease? I have Lewmar's on my boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
In Florida, and if you sail very often, at least annually. We have 12 very large winches and it is a PITA but I do one a month which takes about 45 minutes each with Mineral Spirits or Kerosene followed by Lewmar Winch Grease for the bearings and shafts and 3-in-1 oil for the pawls and springs. Not such a big deal...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-08-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
It depends on how much and for what purpose you use your winches. An active racing boat will do them at least once a year. Some winches however have likely never been done.
You can buy Lewmar grease at any marine store and you will also need a light oil for the pawls. You should also buy a package of pawls and springs before hand as you will need some.
I would suggest getting a copy of the Lewmar manual on overhauling their winches. Likely available for free on line.

It is not difficult to do them, self tailers take about twice as long as non self tailers which take me about 15 minutes to do once set up for it.

Have fun
Old 09-08-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Barient parts

Is there a source for Barient small parts like pawls and springs?
Old 09-08-2011

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road
Barient parts

I think WM has them still. Check West Marine Boat Parts, Boat Accessories, Sailing Gear and Boating Apparel and search for barient.

Regards,
Dan
Old 09-08-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Is there a source for Barient small parts like pawls and springs?
I have Barient 22s on T.B. It turns out Lewmar pawls and springs fit Barient winches. Take an example in to your local marine store for comparison. Other parts have no equivalent. I needed to replace a bearing in 2009 and, after doing my homework, ordered them from Australian Yacht Winch. The have a huge stash of Barient parts. In fact, they were the only source I could find. Shipping to the USA was expensive and took a while.

It looks like they have survived the great global recession. You can write them at "Australian Yacht Winch Co." . They graciously answered several rounds of questions before I bought from them, which was encouraging. The address and phone info I have in my old e-mails are below.

AUSTRALIAN YACHT WINCH
4 Narang Place, St Marys NSW 2760 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9623 2448 Fax: +61 2 9623 2265

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-09-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
I have Barient 22s on T.B. It turns out Lewmar pawls and springs fit Barient winches.
My experience is that they fit but are not identical so you must change ALL of them to Lewmar. I found the pawls to be a hair shorter - just enough that only one pawl would bear the whole load.

Check the thread "winch trouble" - it's 2 or 3 pages in on this forum. Lots of good info.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 09-09-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
self tailers take about twice as long as non self tailers which take me about 15 minutes to do once set up for it.
Gary, why do ST's take you twice as long? Once the barrel is off I find them to be just the same as standard winches.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-09-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Barient pawls and pawl springs are not identical to lewmar. Lewmar now markets Barient specific spring/pawl repair kits. Barient parts proper can be found here:

HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

To the OP, once a year usually works. If you're somewhere that is exceptionally wet, perhaps twice.
Old 09-09-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
My experience is that they fit but are not identical so you must change ALL of them to Lewmar. I found the pawls to be a hair shorter - just enough that only one pawl would bear the whole load.
Thanks for that insight, SJB. I change sets of things rather than individual pieces so I didn't notice the difference. I always figure if one is worn or damaged, the rest aren't that far behind and I'd rather do the maintenance once.

I looked up Hutton Arco Yacht Winches after PuddinLegs' recommendation. They use the same address and telephone number as Australian Yacht Winch gave me a couple of years ago. I presume they reorganized and changed their name. I hope they are thriving since they still seem to be the sole source left for many Barient parts.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.