SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Connect or disconnect

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GordMay 
#1 ·
I am going to live my 36'' sailboat in a marina for 6-8 months somewhat unattented.
I have a mastervolt 25 amp charger and shore power connection.
Do you think I should disconnect the batteries or not stay connected to shore power or else?
I have traditional wet batteries house and engine..
Thanks

#4 ·
I would contact the manufacturers of the both the charger and the batteries and see what they think.
Many modern smart chargers can be left connected on "float" without boiling the batteries dry, but 6-8 monthes is quite a long time. Its also quite a long time to let a battery sit without recharging. The battery will self discharge and this isn''t good for them either.
AJS

#6 ·
For the reasons already stated, I would prefer to see the untended battery charger and shore power disconnected.
However, if you are concerned about maintaining an operational 12V bilge pump - you may choose to install a little "Battery Tender" type maintainer/charger (ie: Guest #2602/2603), in lieu of the 25A charger. The 2602 only puts out about 0.6 Amps, and is not likely to boil off your electrolyte.
Also, make provision to have someone monitor the boat, and report & deal with any problems.
Regards,
Gord

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.