SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

8K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  DavidB.UK 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I'm starting to investigate the realities of a permanent live-aboard.

and whilst musing the various pros and cons I wondered what people do for land going transport when they arrive in a new place and want to explore...?

Then I wondered if a small (lightweight) motorbike would be the answer, but as I'm not an Olympic power-lifter and I still can't buy a carbon-fibre bike this creates a problem of how would one lift the machine on and off the boat.

Then a flash of inspiration (this is the bit that might cause offence)
Could the bike (100kg ish) be lifted on and off by using the boom as a crane?

In theory at least I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

Has anybody done this?
How did it work out?

Also considering one of the new electric dirtbikes as an option which would be even lighter still (85kg ish)

See less See more
#2 ·
96 views in 2 hours and nobody with a word to say?

Surely there must be some points of view, anecdotes, i've just joined this forum so even a hello would be nice.

Or have have I caused so much offence with my question that nobody wants to talk to me? :(

#4 ·
On a biggish boat say something around 45 feet that should not be a problem.

Di Blasi make a folding M/C and I have seen people on Honda Monkey bikes and the Chinese mini m/cs usually in the V large marinas. I have seen a French man tooling around with a No Plate that read AXE A [yachtname]

Ins. Licence and plod agro might be a problem though.

#8 ·
On a biggish boat say something around 45 feet that should not be a problem.

Ins. Licence and plod agro might be a problem though.
I'm looking at something between 36-42ft

Mainly (size-wise) because I want something that's big enough to be comfortable and small enough to be sailed single handed.

Insurance and plod agro shouldn't be a problem with the EU at least.
but I must admit isn't something i'd thought about, but certainly will need to be a consideration when travelling further afield. Thank you.

#7 · (Edited)
Except on very small boats, I would think that the boom should be fine in lifting 100 kg. You might want to check the support for the boom. Topping lift or halyard should be looped around the boom instead of relying on an eye fitting on the boom that might just be screwed in. Use the halyard to support the boom, and a block and tackle (could be a boom vang) to attach to boom to do the lift (again with a strong loop over/around the boom). Boom alone might not have enough vertical travel to make the lift and mainsheet, fixed boom vang, etc. would have to be removed if much vertical movement is required, thus the suggestion about a block and tackle. Load should be applied to the end of the boom where the topping lift or halyard are attached, and not at mid boom. As with real life cranes, you have to make sure that you don't overload the crane system however. The ends of the various lines should be cleated off securely. Of course whether to attempt this will depend entirely on how strong and rugged the components are, and you will have to be the judge of that. Guess wrong and overloaded things will result in damage and possible injury, so take care.

As others have pointed out, storage will be perhaps the biggest problem.

#9 ·
Thank you everybody for your comments.

storage.

Hmmm....

Yes that will no doubt be the clincher.
Just theoretical just now until I buy my boat.

Just curious to see what the community's feedback would be.

I have seen the little folding bikes DiBlasi etc
I really want a real bike rather than a folding one.

but yes finding a sensible storage solution will be a challenge for sure.

#12 ·
I've known people who buy a small moto when in port, use it, sell it, then move on to where the wind takes them. Depends how long you'll be around each port.
There's a neat little write up about Jane and Shelly DeRidder in the Aug.2011 Latitude 38(pg. 149) who built their boat, Magic Dragon around a Honda Trail 90; it fits in the lazarette.
Latitude 38 Changes in Latitudes August 2011
(towards the bottom of page, look for Magic Dragon in bold)
Pure Inspiration for just going!
For me, a folding bike is the easiest solution. You could rent a moto when in port for little excursions I suppose.
Cheers
c

#13 ·
As an add on to my post on your other thread, don't assume that you will always be able to tie up beam to the pier, but have to take the bike ashore over the stern or even bow, and maybe across someone else's deck. So the lighter the better. You can get a pretty good folding bike that when you take the wheels off and fold the frame and compact the seatpost and handle bars you get a pretty small package that could be stored down below somewhere on a 36 foot single handed cruising designed boat.
A bicycle stored on deck will have no economic or functional value in short order unless given daily cleaning and maintenance. I tell you this from a bike shop owner who has delt with bikes coming off boats and RVs. Even expensive bikes with aluminum and stainless steel frames and parts will rapidly deteriorate when left out in the elements, much less taking a breaking wave.
A pedal bike is superior to a motorized bike in several ways:
Makes you more healthy, and you know how important strong legs are to a sailor.
Uses no carbon fuel, a bowl of beans will do it.
Requires no license or insurance.
Weighs much less.
Simpler and less expensive to maintain.
You can even get a collapsible trailer if you require significant load carrying ability.
Just don't keep it on deck.
John

#14 ·
Thank you John,

some very good points there indeed.
I know the importance of regular maintenance of both pedal and motorized bikes but had no idea just how much more regular I would need to maintain them if stowed on deck. EEEEK! that moves the goalposts rather!

Hmmm, lots to think about.

Why it might offend btw???
I am new to the forum and suspected that the idea of suggesting using the boom for anything other than its intended purpose may offend some puritans that may be lurking in the community.
Just thought i'd apologise in advance, just in case ;)

#16 ·
I've not met a small gas engine that didn't smell of gasoline and leak oil. Stowage would need to be carefully planned unless you enjoy the above two ambiances.

Using the boom would necessitate storage in the cockpit in most cases, wouldn't it?

#18 ·
this would possibly be a contender but it's still too heavy to be clambering over somebody else boat with at 97kg without fuel.

I must admit I had been labouring under the assumption that I would able to moor up side on and swing the bike out over the side and onto the walkway.

#26 ·
If I remember right, in France if you are 16 (or 14 with a license) you can have up to 125cc on your bike without any registration. I don't know about insurance and stuff.

If you can get it off the boat without telling anyone who is supposed to know I think in places like this nobody would notice or care. Can't you just get a light 2 stroke and put it on your dinghy and go to shore like that.

#29 ·
I've read all the inputs to this, and your choice of a 45' boat. On that big of a boat, I think lowering a bycycle would be easily done. A motorcycle on the other hand might overload your boom.
What I'm really concerned with is where are you going to lower it to. If your at anchor, are you thinking of putting it into your dink and taking it ashore to ride? I'm not trying to be funny, I have pondered the same thing. A little research and some traveling guide books might show rentral availability for bikes, Motorcycles, etc.

#31 ·
It was just a thought that (with my current sailing/sea experience) I found I was unable to work through in my head.

I am glad that I posted as it has made me think of some really interesting points that I had not previously considered.

think my conclusions are this:

Properly supported the boom would be strong enough to lift a lightweight bike an electric dirtbike like this...

providing that I use the main halyard etc to ensure the boom has adequate support or a lightweight 125cc but either way they are both going to tip the scales at just under 100kg.

I think whilst Marina based I could secure the bike onshore, whilst river based (nearby) I could keep a bike on-board (somehow) depending on which boat I buy, thank to my other thread, the helpful advice given and the more i'm scouring the classified I'm getting a better idea of what I'm looking for.

But once I decide to go coastal cruising/adventuring the bike will need to be stored elsewhere until my return or sold and rent something when I arrive at my chosen destination.

Perhaps a little folding DiBlasi (for the space they take up) would be a good thing to have stowed on-board anyway.

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
Hi abode,

appreciate the comment and that could well be an option, but really (in an ideal world) I really would like a proper trail bike that could ridden off-road.

I know the two activities Trail riding and sailing are rather different and have some conflicting values even but I do like both!

IF I decide to go the trail bike route at all now it'll either be rental upon arrival in a foreign land or find a way to stow and manoeuvre a proper bike.

#35 ·
Think the rental option would be better all around. It would be rather difficult and expensive to equip a bike and have it legal anywhere you go.
A moped would work, I've seen off-road capable mopeds, nothing you'd want to jump with, but capable of some rough riding. But even here in the US, every state has different laws and requirements for operation, in some areas even city to city rule changes create issues.
Otherwise, a custom built or modified full suspension mountain bike with an add-in easily removable engine 'pack' of whatever size you'd prefer would be a great option, keep the pedals in original position, or make it so you can switch them out when you install the engine pack. With care paid to the design and materials you could easily keep it well under 100 kilograms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.