Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2011

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
SSB installion problem

I purchased a furuno fs1503 ssb radio with a tuner box. I bought a GAM electronics Split lead antenna that slips over the backstay of the sailboat. My ground plane is a Kiss SSB ground plane.

When I attach the GAM antenna lead to the tuner box I get loud static. The radio works better without the GAM antenna attached. Without the antenna I can get the 15,000 freq. time signal; with it static.

I tested the GAM antenna for continuity with the backstay its slipped onto and there is no continuity so there shouldn't be a break in the plastic housing.

I rigged the tuner to the rails and the rails increased reception.

What could possibly be wrong?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011

sailorduff is on a distinguished road
Ssb

Hey, I just purchased an SSB and am looking at buying the KISS, was it pretty easy to install?
Old 09-13-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
FYI, propagation for the past few days has been absolutely terrible on several ham and marine bands. You might or might not have a problem.

I'd give it a few days, check reception on WWV 10, 15mHz, listen to the nets...both ham and marine. Ham nets include the Waterway Net at 0745-0830 EDT daily on 7268kHz LSB, and the Maritime Mobile Service Net most all day on 14,300kHz USB. Marine nets include Cruizheimers on 8152kHz USB daily beginning at 0830 EDT.

If you're feeling energetic, you might just attach a random length wire to the tuner's antenna lug -- any kind of insulated wire will do -- at least 23' long and hoist it with a halyard away from other rigging. See what you get. The Gam antenna, by the way, is just a fancy end-fed antenna; the wire should do just as well. BE CAREFUL if you try to transmit, though, as the wire will act as an antenna all the way to the tuner, and will radiate RF when you transmit.

Bill
Old 09-13-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The KISS-SSB radial ground system is very easy to install. Shouldn't take you more than a few minutes.

Bill
Old 09-13-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
The KISS is dead easy to install and is very effective in my experience.

I have had a number of clients insist on using a GAM antenna. For some it worked, for others it has been an abysmal failure. Disconnect the GAM and hoist bell wire up on a halyard or topping lift and connect that to the tuner. If performance improves return the GAM and go with either a conventional insulated backstay or an alternate backstay antenna.

Be sure to do your testing outside of a marina where interference from systems on other boats and multipath from masts are an issue.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Bill apparently types faster than I do.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2011

dm567 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've given it quite a bit of time. At first I thought it might be my ground plane which initially was copper foil. Then I installed the Kiss. Same problem. More loud static as soon as I attach the GAM. As I said it works better with no antenna at all.

I will try a 23 plus foot insulated wire and post back.

What about installing a 16 foot fiberglass antenna from digital antenna? I can't see having anything taller out the back of my sailboat.

Also anyone seen the new model with the rupp collar? It says it unlocks the antenna for lowering. Does this mean that the top half of the antenna stores inside the bottom half when not in use?

thanks,
dom
Old 09-13-2011

windward54 is on a distinguished road
I've used both the GAM and the traditional backstay antenna. I haven't noticed much difference between the two. My preference is the backstay anntenna though. I've found that the GTO15 feedline wicks moisture. With the backstay antenna, no problem if this happens, as you can just remove one line and install another. With the GAM, you have to send your antenna back and have the factory make the change for you. Not a problem if you are in port. Becomes a problem if you are away cruising though. I had my GAM antenna fixed and set it aside for a backup.

I'm also using a KISS on this boat. I really like it better than my old system of the foil to a thru-hull. And it took about 5 minutes to install it.