Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
That's interesting about criss-crossing the hoses. It makes sense. Now I'm going to look at the scupper drains with the 90 degree hose connection.
Caveat is that unless the through hulls are far enough below the water line, when heeled the water will often have to go uphill to make it out the other side, so will pool in the low side of the cockpit.

Most people that I know who cross the hoses do so because of difficulty in getting the correct length hose in to provide for double clamping, something you can get around easily if the drains are 'bolt in' like the perko scuppers linked earlier. Install the hose with the scuppers removed, then slip the clamps and lock ring in, grease up the scupper end and insert it into the hose, when close install the proper bedding, and tighten up the ring and clamps. Others rebuild the system so the drains are plumbed aft and exit through the overhang or transom, which is my method, I try to eliminate as many through hulls as I can, nothing wrong with a properly installed and maintained through hull, I simply prefer having as few as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Merc

Whether the drains are crossed or not depends on the hull depth under the cockpit and the depth of the cockpit well relative to the waterline. On many boats if not crossed the leeward drain becomes an intake at a given amount of heel, particularly those with cockpit wells close to the waterline.
Old 02-14-2012

ewakeley is on a distinguished road
i have a 78 rk21....the scuppers in the cockpit are only to drain the cockpit floor....yu lowest point in you boat is right before the center table ...yes that is true....if you put water in it it will go to that point......My name is skip and i restored one also.....got some pic if you need to see how things are......hope this helps
Old 02-14-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
The idea setup would be : Groco or similar quality bronze seacocks in the hull. Connect to the cockpit scuppers with quality, re-inforced hose. The reason being, if the hose fails while the boat is in the water and the seacocks are open, the boat will sink.

See here :

BoatUS BoatTECH Guides: Marine Hose
Old 02-14-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpg View Post
Thanks. If these two cockpit drains are cross-connected to the through hull drains, what drains the bilge/lowest area of the boat? An auto bilge pump?
Yes, a bilge pump. It isn't common to have drains in the bottom of the boat for the bilge, even though they might seem really handy on a trailerable boat. I used to let the self-bailers drain my Wayfarer. I could just hose out the entire bilge area and watch the dirty water pour out of the self bailers. Unfortunately I also launched the boat a couple of times with the bailers open and nearly sank it.

Trailerable and non-trailerable have different requirements here.

For non-trailerable boats, the aim is to have the least possible chance of a leak that could sink the boat. Hence all through hulls are connected with seacocks to shut them off, the drains are connected to through-hulls via seacocks so that the cockpit can be drained without any chance of filling the bilge, and so on. The bilge is a sealed area that is only pumped out by the bilge pump.

I think your boat is in the size range where some people might keep it on a trailer, and some at the dock. Hence it was built to be left on a dock.
Old 02-14-2012

ewakeley is on a distinguished road
on a rk21 there isnt enough room to do that...i usee 3m 5200 very liberal on the underside with bronze thru hulls...with very thick 2 inch hose....

Tags
balboa 20 , cockpit drains , ensenada 20 , rk-20 , scuppers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.