Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011
1977 RK-21

pbpg is on a distinguished road
Advice on scuppers & drains

Hi, I recently bought an old 1977 RK-21, similar to the Ensenada 20 and the Balboa 20. I have two threaded drains below the stern and two scuppers in the cockpit leading to the bilge and drains. What I don't know is whether these drains are supposed to be open or closed when sailing, or whether I'm missing hardware like some kind of clamshell bailer, or seacock to be threaded into the drains and openable from the cockpit. Any advice on this? See attached pics. Thank you for your help!
Addendum: This boat has an outboard, not an inboard. When I say bilge, I mean a space under the cockpit and before the hull drains--not sure how large it is. These drains are under the water, I think, when the boat is afloat. Donna mentioned that one of her thru hull drains goes to her sink. That may be the case here as I removed the sink, but haven't traced the drain tube back to see where it goes. I will be matching/sealing the unfinished cockpit drain. Would hoses come out of these as one suggestion mentioned?
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on scuppers & drains-sterndrains-small.jpg   Advice on scuppers & drains-scuppers-small.jpg  

Last edited by pbpg; 09-13-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Clarification after some posts
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
The bottom photo looks like cockpit drains (make sure you clean all those leaves out), which are open all the time to allow water to drain out of the cockpit. But you say they lead to the bilge rather than outside the boat? That confuses me.

For the top picture you'll have to trace them into your boat to see where they end up. One of the thru hulls in the top photo may go to the engine, which needs to be open while underway if the engine is raw-water cooled like mine. There would be a valve near your engine to close it when you're off the boat.

On my boat we also have a thru hull from the galley sink. We have a valve under the sink which closes it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-13-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
If the top picture really is of two "threaded drains" then I'd say they need to be closed, hence the threads. I'm not the most visual person, but looks like these are definitely below the water line, and if they're not part of an intake set-up, then they will be if not plugged. If I'm not looking correctly then ignore me all together......most people do anyway.

I'd also recommend getting the ring of the right drain in the bottom picture to match the one on the left. If not, you'll eventually see that area of the cockpit deck delaminate from water intrusion.
Old 09-13-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would think there is an outboard and not an inboard engine.

If the cockpit sole is above the waterline and there are hoses between the through hulls and the fittings in the cockpit they can be left open when sailing like on most any larger boat. If the cockpit sole is above the waterline and there are not any hoses connecting the through hulls there should be - double clamped for safety.

I agree with emoney the right drain should be changed as the left one is and sealed properly to protect any core.
Old 09-13-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Presumably the cockpit floor is above the water line while sailing. If so, then the cockpit scuppers should be open while sailing. You need some way to drain the cockpit quickly if you take a wave over the stern. You also need to be able to drain rain water out of the cockpit while you are away. Inspect the tubes closely to make sure they are sound. We have had a few boats nearby go to the bottom on their mooring b/c of leaking scuppers.
pbpg likes this.
Old 09-13-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
The drains in the cockpit look like stainless steel kitchen sink drains, don't laugh cause many builders source landbased alternatives, especially on older/smaller/cheaper boats. Why not change them both, put new backers under the tightening nut and you can sleep at night knowing nothing is rotting away. If the two identical drains on the hull are in the same area as two scuppers you need houses (see if you have room to connect port scupper to stbd drain/stbd scupper to port drain, may need an elbow on each but it should prevent syphoning), and definitely add shut off valves. Simple boats call for simple solutions
pbpg likes this.
Old 09-13-2011
1977 RK-21

Thanks! I think I have about 6" to 1' between the cockpit drains and the hull drains. I'll see if I can get access to them. I thought the one fitted cockpit drain looked like a sink drain myself. In fact, I thought of replacing the missing drain with a sink drain! Good to know that those are not unusual in small boats. Thank you for your reply! I'm hoping to hear from someone eventually who knows what the original equipment/setup was.
Old 09-13-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
A good alternative to the hoses sometimes can be excess radiator hoses made for
cars. With a good ss clamp, they hold up quite well while being a little flexible, but
with rigidity for the long haul.
Old 09-17-2011
1977 RK-21

Hi Donna,
The port cockpit drain connects to the port thru hull drain with a rubber hose. Haven't gotten to the starboard drain yet. - phil
Old 09-17-2011

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
I have those same scupper drains in my Cal. They are, indeed, sink drains. And and I can't find them anywhere. One of them is giving me fits because the it had no backing nut and applying 5200 isn't enough to hold it in place with the hose connected. So, I've plugged it temporarily until I can find a replacement. I'm considering these:
Perko Bronze Scuppers

You will have to grind the opening to allow for the flange to mount flush.

Tags
balboa 20 , cockpit drains , ensenada 20 , rk-20 , scuppers