SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Used anchors..... ie Rocnas

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I knew I had to put Rocna in the title to get you to read it !!

I've often looked for a good supplier for used anchors and never found one with much good inventory. I suspect that shipping costs and the fact that most of us just put our old anchors into our collection is the problem.

However, I got to thinking that many may be ditching their Rocnas now and that may include the Canadian or Pre-China anchors. Personally, I would have no problem with one of these at a used price.

So, is anyone familiar with a used market for anchors that is blossoming? I'm up for a Canadian Rocna 40. Maybe I should contact WM to see what they are doing with the returns.

Disclaimer.... not trying to start a new Rocna thread.... this is about the "pre-china" product.

#2 ·
Helluva good idea! I'd go with a decent enough used anchor if the price was right.... no matter who made it. Any anchor in decent condition would be good enough for my old girl. :)

#6 ·
Yeah, you'd have to pry our Canadian built Rocna from my dead fingers...:D Despite how horrible the company is our "original" Rocna is still a hell of a hook. I suspect it may have gone up in value...:) The Manson Supreme is also one hell of a hook too and mine might be on the bow today if it was not one size too small.

The only thing I don't like about our Rocna is advertising for them when it is on the roller.:mad:

I do hide it in the anchor locker though when not in use...:laugher

#4 ·
Here in Newport Beach, CA We have a store called Minney's. They carry a ton of used (and new, discounted) anchors, all look to be in pretty good shape. Don't think I've ever seen a Rocna in there though.

MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE

I'm guessing shipping costs would kill any benefit you'd get from buying used though. There must be a place like that around you. You could also try Craigslist I guess.

#8 ·
I had great luck on craigslist recently - a 60 # CQR for under $300. It can take awhile, but I'd keep an eye on their boats column. As long as we're trading great secondhand resources, the Blue Pelican in Alameda, CA is a marine consignment chandlery that often has incredible deals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.