Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-17-2011

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
Bungee cord please help me find

Ok a bungee cord how simple is this well I've owned hundreds of types over the years but I've never seen anything like this.

I bought a new boat recently and it had some of these bungee's onboard. They are the best thing since sliced bread. Hopefully they arent some out of date bungee that isn't made anymore.

I've looked on the net and cant find anything that is this easy to adjust works or works this well.

I've been using them to tie up my main sail, hold ropes and a hundred other various uses.

Please please someone tell me they can be found somewhere as if I can find them I plan on buyin a stock pile.

https://skydrive.live.com/embedphoto...aee1&sc=photos

https://skydrive.live.com/embedphoto...aee1&sc=photos

The links are two photos of how the bungee's work. Hopefully I did the photo links correctly it's my first time doing that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
available at most motorcycle shops, and many farm stores, as this is the same bungee stuff used to tie down things ....you can make your own lengths/ends/etc
Old 09-18-2011

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen-deckard View Post

I've looked on the net and cant find anything that is this easy to adjust works or works this well.

I've been using them to tie up my main sail, hold ropes and a hundred other various uses.

They work great till you go to put one on your main sail & it slips & comes back around to hit you in the face.
Better to use sail ties , they don't fly back at you.
Old 09-18-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
If you are not too concerned about the 'wack you in the face factor' these are great too:

Amazon.com: Heavy-Duty 9-Inch 'Bungee Ball' Elastic Cords - Set of 25: Home Improvement

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
If you are not too concerned about the 'wack you in the face factor' these are great too:

Amazon.com: Heavy-Duty 9-Inch 'Bungee Ball' Elastic Cords - Set of 25: Home Improvement
There are also some that are similar that have balls on both ends.

Not to sound like your Mother, but...

Bungee chords are responsible for more eye injuries than just about anything else. (no, I don't have a citation, but that is the collected clinical wisdom of my profession) While they are convenient, I really, REALLY don't like them for that reason. I personally find that a web sail tie with a loop on the end is the quickest and most versatile. I've also found that in many cases a piece of 3-strand line with a loop spliced in one end and the other with either a large knot or simply whipped is extremely useful.

I do use elastic chord on the boat, but currently only in the cabin to keep things secured underway and one piece of elastic chord to keep the spinnaker halyard from flapping. That chord, btw, is tied on and does use hooks.

Let's be safe out there.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
...I personally find that a web sail tie with a loop on the end is the quickest and most versatile.
Do you mean a tucked reef knot?

Many folks don't seem to know, but a simple, sharp tug an end of a reef knot collapses it into an easy to shake out slip knot. Granny knots will just cinch tighter, but properly tied reef knots are extremely easy to undo. No tucking, no fussy bows...
Old 09-18-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Ditto on the caution for the use of bungee cords. I worked in eye health care, and remember guys who lost their vision because of blunt force trauma to the eye. Whap.....blind in one eye.

Seemingly innocent activities like securing a lid to a garbage can is a good way to have a mishap and lose vision.

This is not to say that bungees aren't useful in certain applications, but I use a lot of caution with regard to where I use them, and am careful when I use them.
Old 09-18-2011
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
I am another very cautious user of bungees. I've never taken one in the eye, but have had a couple of shots to the face. One of the worst swear-word-inducing hits was one from a tightly hauled bungee that came off and the metal part of the hook caught me square on the thumbnail. Ouch.

On the boat I have one small bungee that fastens down the kettle, one loop to a hook to hold open the door of the head, and a couple of plain bungee cords to run between halyards and shrouds to keep 'em nice and quiet at night.

I have ridden motorcycles for a long time and like Rok Straps. A really safe, and way more reliable fastening system than bungees.

ROK Straps - The Ultimate Stretch Strap - HOME

They have no hooks and rely on a loop. I am trying to think of ways to repurpose them for use on a boat.
Old 09-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
Do you mean a tucked reef knot?

Many folks don't seem to know, but a simple, sharp tug an end of a reef knot collapses it into an easy to shake out slip knot. Granny knots will just cinch tighter, but properly tied reef knots are extremely easy to undo. No tucking, no fussy bows...
No, not quite. I used the tucked reef knot all the time with my regular sail ties. However, at some point we got some sail ties tossed with a sail from a sail loft that were simply a nylom tubular webbing with a loop sown in one end. All it took was just a slip knot and it held in place and was even easier to put on and take off than the tucked reef knot.

This is what they look like.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.