Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2011

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Integrating Raymarine X5 Smartpilot with Garmin 4208

Maybe a stupid question, but I just installed a Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot on the boat, and was hoping someone could tell me what needs to be done to integrate my Garmin 4208 with the autopilot. I'm guessing it's a standard NMEA 0183 connection, but are there additional considerations? Is it as straight forward as running a 183 cable from the autopilot control unit to the chartplotter?

As always, thanks for the help/advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2011

CaptainDan99 is on a distinguished road
On my Raymarine S1 with a lowrance, I only needed to run two wires, NMEA out from the chartplotter over to the computer NMEA in terminals. You may need to go into your chartplotter setup and make sure the output is set for 183.
Old 09-18-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question

First, have you thoroughly "RTFM"?
I ask because I recently installed a new X-5. The manual had a chapter on integrating with other instruments, although I plan to save that part for a future time.
L
Old 09-18-2011

Yeah I read the manual, that's where I got the NMEA 0183 thing from, but I was hoping to hear from some people who have done the integration. I understand there may be issues with the way Garmins "speak" to integrated Raymarine devices so I was looking for real world insight.

Dan, thanks for the input.
Old 09-19-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
The difficulty most people run into integrating a Garmin into a 0183 device or network is that Garmin carries the negative data on the negative power lead (more confusing?).
Look closely at the negative battery lead on the wiring schematic shown on page 15 of the Garmin installation instructions. Notice both the black negative data ground (from 0183 cable) and black negative power ground are connected. This simply means the 2 grounds must be common (usually a short jumper wire in the pod will do the trick).
And you must set the output to 0183 as others mentioned.
Old 10-12-2011

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but I just installed a Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot on the boat, and was hoping someone could tell me what needs to be done to integrate my Garmin 4208 with the autopilot. I'm guessing it's a standard NMEA 0183 connection, but are there additional considerations? Is it as straight forward as running a 183 cable from the autopilot control unit to the chartplotter?

As always, thanks for the help/advice.

Creedence, I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing on my boat. Did you install the X-5 yourself? How difficult was it?

I am on the fence about integrating with the 4208 I am not sure how often I would use the feature.
Old 10-12-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have a 4210 and a raymarine pilot. The best reason to integrate them is you can make a route on the chartplotter and tell the autopilot to follow it. love it.
Old 11-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
Creedence, I am in the process of doing exactly the same thing on my boat. Did you install the X-5 yourself? How difficult was it?

I am on the fence about integrating with the 4208 I am not sure how often I would use the feature.
I did do the installation myself. Not terribly difficult. Actually, the hardest part was trying to find a suitable location for the fluxgate compass; the physical installation was really not too rough. Just to help frame it in context, I am NOT mechanically inclined. Just followed the installation manuals, and used what information I was able to get from these forums.

I'll try to follow up with the results of the 4208 integration.

A buddy of mine owns a newer Catalina 42, and of course has a larger operating budget than I do. Long story short, he forked over something to the tune of $20,000 to have a Raymarine tech come in and revamp his electronics (chartplotters, AIS, Sirius WX, autopilot- the works). Two years later, he is still in legal procedings against the tech for substandard installations/poor workmanship/unfulfilled promises, etc. That's when I decided, even if I could afford the work, it'd be best to do it myself since only I have a vested interest in my boat.

Last edited by creedence623; 11-04-2011 at 05:11 AM.