Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By knothead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Backstay hardware, threaded or not?

I'm removing my backstay for inspection and lube. I want to remove the round piece (Name?) at the end of the backstay (see pictures, sorry, one's out of focus). It looks like it is threaded onto the backstay, but then again, maybe not. I've used penetrant and it doesn't want to unthread. Don't want to force it if it's not treaded. Thoughts?
I'm planning on performing a corrosion dye test on the members.
Attached Thumbnails
Backstay hardware, threaded or not?-0920111148.jpg   Backstay hardware, threaded or not?-0920111149.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
If you are referring to the rusty part, that does not come off. It is part of the threaded section. The flange around it will slide up over the threads if you spread it far enough.

Personally I would not bother. Just replace it. That rust looks pretty bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
If you are referring to the rusty part, that does not come off. It is part of the threaded section. The flange around it will slide up over the threads if you spread it far enough.

Personally I would not bother. Just replace it. That rust looks pretty bad.
Interesting. It looks like a barrel bolt. I can definitely see a couple of threads above it, and it has a through hole with the threaded section showing on it's bottom. So, do they press it on somehow?
Old 09-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
If you see threads than it must be threaded. But it would be pretty bad if it were with no way to prevent it from unthreading. I believe it is pressed on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-20-2011

Cleaned up nicely. Now I can see there is what appears to be a pin running lengthwise through the Barrel nut (for lack of a better term!). Wonder if they thread it on, then drive a pin through it and the threaded member?
Attached Thumbnails
Backstay hardware, threaded or not?-0920111405.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 09-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Cleaned up nicely. Now I can see there is what appears to be a pin running lengthwise through the Barrel nut (for lack of a better term!). Wonder if they thread it on, then drive a pin through it and the threaded member?
That is one way that they are made. They also just use thread adhesive sometimes. Either way, IMO those are inferior to welded T-bolt or eye/pin t-bolt.

I have seen the threaded ones crack from the expansion of the corrosion that occurs in the interstices of the threads.
I have seen them fail completely under load in extreme cases.

My recommendation would be to replace them when you do your next rerig at least and in the meantime, do exactly what you are doing. Clean them, inspect them and then soak them in something that will stop corrosion.
Then watch them closely.
L124C likes this.
Old 09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
That is one way that they are made. They also just use thread adhesive sometimes. Either way, IMO those are inferior to welded T-bolt or eye/pin t-bolt. I have seen the threaded ones crack from the expansion of the corrosion that occurs in the interstices of the threads.
I have seen them fail completely under load in extreme cases. My recommendation would be to replace them when you do your next rerig at least and in the meantime, do exactly what you are doing. Clean them, inspect them and then soak them in something that will stop corrosion.
Then watch them closely.
Very helpful, thank you! The dye test "illuminated" some corrosion around the top of the barrel nut which is what initially concerned me. One end of the pin I mentioned is also corroded. So...it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know (with the exception of something I will address in a separate thread). However, combined with your experience about failures, this is not good! The rest of the backstay appears to be in great condition (and is overbuilt to begin with). Your post makes me think that I can replace the barrel nut with one of the arrangements you suggest. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.