Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-22-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi,

My boat came with two, mounted port and starboard on bulkheads in the main salon. They work fine, but don't put out a lot of light. It's bright enough to see your way around the boat, but not bright enough to read by, even if you sit close to one.

As mentioned, they do put out a fair amount of heat. That's nice when it's cold out, less so when it's warm.

Mine looks great when it's just been polished, but it tarnishes pretty quickly.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Hey Barry! You might find that most of the lamp can be kept bright longer by wiping it with vegetable oil after polishing. If any of it cooks off, the smoke won't hurt anyone. My Aladdin Lamp provides about as much light as a 60 watt bulb, but a lot of heat. Also great in cool weather. When it's hot I use the 12v lighting.
Old 09-23-2011

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I just bought the mini latern and gimble. We will use it on the boat for the first time this week. I tested the latern at home and I will warn you it gets hot. The light it gives off was not much but enough for the boat salon in the evening I am guessing. I did notice that the light seems to pulsate a bit. I am guessing this is because of lack of oxygen flow from the bottom of the unit. i will report back on how it works on our salon this coming week.
The mini was Christmas present for my boat last year. It's very nice looking but I was a bit disappointed by the light, and as you say it gets really really hot. It's bright enough that you can go below and find the light switch, but not much brighter. Although that's basically what I want sailing at night when I like some light below in-case I have to go down there but not too much that it's distracting.

I've found that mine goes out on it's own sometimes. I think it's because the flame was too large and it ran out of oxygen.

But yeah, the lantern is very simple. You pour the oil down the hole the wick comes out of and use the bent wire to "grab" the wick and slide it up and down.
Old 09-23-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
A "cold blast" lantern will provide a lot more light. Those little "dead flame" yacht lamps are really more for "atmosphere" than actual lighting (or maybe as a sort of "night-light"). Kerosene lanterns with mantles, either pressurized ones like Coleman or non-pressurized ones like Aladdin, produce the most light (too much for my taste, as ones night vision is toasted by them) but also produce a lot of heat and fumes. A small boat cabin can be filled with lamp oil/kerosene fumes pretty quickly by a mantled lantern.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt