SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Confused by Weems and Plath lantern (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/79000-confused-weems-plath-lantern.html)

MarkSF 09-21-2011 11:40 PM

Confused by Weems and Plath lantern

I have a Weems and Plath lantern, looks like this one.

I'm baffled as to it's operation. OK, I understand the principles behind the oil lamp in general, but how do you open this one in particular to light the wick? How do you adjust the wick?

Feeling really dumb right now.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zpp46o.jpg

blt2ski 09-22-2011 12:02 AM

Pretty simple, to not so really.

The tank at the bottom unscrews, you light the wick and screw the tank back in. Pretty simple in the manor of how to etc. BUT tricky to make sure as you screw it back in, or the top to the base you do not drop the thing because the two parts are not connected.

To unlight the wick, there is a small wire at the bottom of the tank/unit that will pull the wick part down, or you can push it up to get more flame.

Marty

MarkSF 09-22-2011 12:21 AM

Ahhhh thanks, looking forward to trying it this weekend then.

Cruiser2B 09-22-2011 12:40 AM

I just bought the mini latern and gimble. We will use it on the boat for the first time this week. I tested the latern at home and I will warn you it gets hot. The light it gives off was not much but enough for the boat salon in the evening I am guessing. I did notice that the light seems to pulsate a bit. I am guessing this is because of lack of oxygen flow from the bottom of the unit. i will report back on how it works on our salon this coming week.

blt2ski 09-22-2011 12:49 AM

I have not used the mini yet, altho I do have one, along with the big one. There is some flicker, it maybe oxygen per say, altho a candle in the open flickers also! so to me, O@ is not the issue, just normal air mix that fluctuates.

You can add some of the fragrant oils, works ok, but frankly, we prefer the non fragrant style WP sells as do some other brands. The wick does last a while. I have yet to replace one in about 3-4 yrs use, not that I use it a lot either! I keep it center in the saloon area, with a small air vent on the cabin top.

Marty

jjablonowski 09-22-2011 08:34 AM

Mine---from Weems & Plath---has the little bent stiff wire through the bottom with which you can poke the lighted wick up and down to adjust the flame. At a boat show last week I saw a less-expensive almost-identical no-name copy that had no wick adjustment.

Recommend you use highest-quality fuel you can find, sometimes called 'candle' grade, but the unit will burn smelly kerosene, too.

BubbleheadMd 09-22-2011 08:40 AM

The flickering is probably caused the the shape of your wick. Take a sharp pair of scissors and trim the wick so that it is curved, an arc or a dome shape, not just flat across the top.

I have the same Weems & Plath lantern. I like the heavy construction, but I find that having to take it apart to light the wick is a real hassle. My Pearson also came with a small, gimballed lantern that is probably a W&P, but the globe is missing. I need to run down to Annapolis and see if they sell replacement globes because I'd really like to use it.

I'm a big fan of oil lamps vs. burning up the battery for light at night. Don't get started on me about LED's. I know they're out there. :)

SVAuspicious 09-22-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 778174)
I need to run down to Annapolis and see if they sell replacement globes because I'd really like to use it.

W&P does sell replacement globes.

MarkSF 09-22-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 778217)
W&P does sell replacement globes.

They do, in fact I have a spare globe for sale in the ads section. It's for the W&P Atlantic lamp.

sailortjk1 09-22-2011 12:10 PM

We have one, never use it. It sits on the fireplace mantle at the house as a decoration.