Don Casey: Paint Waterline Stripe with Bottom Paint - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe you meant COVE stripe - the boot stripe is the coloured line above the bottom paint at the waterline.
Thats right. See, a little confusion and I would be painting the deck with bottom paint.

I think it would look good to have bottom paint up to the regular line, then another color of bottom paint from there up another few inches (depending on boat size.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Don Casey says: "Don't locate the bootstripe at the true water line. It should be at least an inch above the water to prevent the stripe from fouling as a result of wave action, or of the boat being slightly out of trim". This is how my bootstripe was applied, and I don't have any fouling issues. I can't imagine that bottom paint would look nearly as good as Bootstripe paint, and is still going to foul if the stripe is too low. Casey explains how to determine the proper water line on page 360 of his book "Sailboat Maintenance".

Last edited by L124C; 09-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2011

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Don Casey says: "Don't locate the bootstripe at the true water line. It should be at least an inch above the water to prevent the stripe from fouling as a result of wave action, or of the boat being slightly out of trim". This is how my bootstripe was applied, and I don't have any fouling issues. I can't imagine that bottom paint would look nearly as good as Bootstripe paint, and is still going to foul if the stripe is too low. Casey explains how to determine the proper water line on page 360 of his book "Sailboat Maintenance".
For reference I'll try to find the quote I'm referring to tonight but I believe Don Casey said that it looks fine and when the boat is in the water it's usually wet and shiny anyway and hard to tell the difference.

Part of my fouling problem is that I'm out of trim, I know that (anchors stored in the cockpit lockers right now tilting me aft) but the fouling continues up half the boat so it's more than that. Also with reasonably long overhangs in the stern there is sort of a leverage effect where when the boat rocks backward it sends the stern and especially the rudder (transom hung) pretty deep into the water. On the rudder the fouling now covers nearly my entire stripe.

For those with an inch of clearance and no fouling are you sure it's only an inch? And how sheltered is the water you're in?

Last edited by asdf38; 09-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

You need a good 2" above the waterline and i still have to do some minor wiping
Night_Sailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
For reference I'll try to find the quote I'm referring to tonight but I believe Don Casey said that it looks fine and when the boat is in the water it's usually wet and shiny anyway and hard to tell the difference.
Part of my fouling problem is that I'm out of trim, I know that (anchors stored in the cockpit lockers right now tilting me aft) but the fouling continues up half the boat so it's more than that. Also with reasonably long overhangs in the stern there is sort of a leverage effect where when the boat rocks backward it sends the stern and especially the rudder (transom hung) pretty deep into the water. On the rudder the fouling now covers nearly my entire stripe.For those with an inch of clearance and no fouling are you sure it's only an inch? And how sheltered is the water you're in?
Good point! Just measured, and the top of my bottom paint (blue) is three and a half inches ATWL, with a half inch section of gel coat above it, putting the bottom of the Bootstripe (red) four inches ATWL. I use ablative bottom paint. Both the bottom and Bootstripe paints are tired, but I still think the Bootstripe paint looks much better. I'm in a sheltered marina, but if I had fouling half way up my hull, I'd be wondering what was in the water. Is BP your neighbor?
Attached Thumbnails
Don Casey: Paint Waterline Stripe with Bottom Paint-0926111300.jpg  
Night_Sailor likes this.

Last edited by L124C; 09-26-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2012

Re: Don Casey: Paint Waterline Stripe with Bottom Paint

Ok I'm digging this up because I'm about to do it (paint my waterline stripe with bottom paint). However I'm now aware of a new concern: bottom paint exposure to sunlight. I have Petit Unepoxy and noticed it said that the boat should be put in the water within 60 days of painting. Am I going to have a problem with this?

I spent some time when I was shopping for paint trying to identify ones that could take sunlight but had a hard time figuring it out and now I question what I ended up with.
Old 05-29-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

ASDF,

Leaving hard bottom paint exposed to air too long causes it to work, but it becomes less effective the longer it is allowed to dry out. If it isn't wet, it won't foul anyway, so no harm done. If it is wet then the paint will last just like the stuff on your keel.

Part of the problem is that manufacturers stripe a boat based upon its loaded waterline in salt water. Most boats though are moored in either brackish or mostly fresh water, so your boat actually floats deeper. Basically the fresher the water the deeper your boat sits, and the higher your bottom paint should come. Even a creek emptying into a cove can significantly reduce the local salinity of the water.

In addition if you happen to carry more weight than the designer calculated for the loaded water line, of course you sit deeper. So if the bottom paint stops right at the line... Well you get stuff growing.

Finally a boat with a little bottom paint showing is an indication she is being kept light (even when not true).
Old 05-29-2012
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWindNC View Post
The boatyard here has started using bottom paint for the boot stripe, and it seems to have worked pretty well on the boats I've seen. Not sure whether they're using ablative or something harder.

Same color as the bottom paint? Or something different to keep the boot stripe look?

I've seen people paint over their boot stripes with the bottom paint they use on the bottom. These are overloaded cruising boats. One of the calculations I did for my big boat was to determine how much lower my boat would sit with an extra ton of weight in it. Answer 1". I can see how having the boot stripe for a guide to raise the waterline makes sense.

I have notices a lot of crud accumulating on my boot stripe. I was on a fore and aft mooring and one side was noticeably dirtier than the other--the wind leaned it over a bit. I would hate to paint over it and loose that little yachting touch of color. I will see what happens this year at a dock. Most likely I'll leave it as is. On a bigger boat I might be tempted to raise the waterline a an inch if needed.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Old 05-29-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Here's my video on SAIL Magazine's website on how to paint your bootstripe - this way, you avoid the 'squatting' look when you move or widen the stripe - How to Paint a Boot Stripe | Sail Magazine
Night_Sailor likes this.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 05-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Same color as the bottom paint? Or something different to keep the boot stripe look?
In my case, starting at the bottom it's blue bottom paint (ablative), red topside paint for the stripe, and blue topside paint for the sides. On some boats the stripe and the bottom paint don't touch but in my case they do.

I'm replacing only the red stripe at the waterline with red bottom paint.
Night_Sailor likes this.