Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011

fcsob is on a distinguished road
Ancor LED bulb

This bulb is a single contact bayonet basr with 12 leds. It is in a new fixture in the head. I seem to get about 30 to 50 hours of service from them before on led starts to blink then two ect. I have replaced it three times, warrenty,one shiped from Ancor. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Bad contact, causing resistance and voltage drop. Could be in the fixture, or the wire to the fixture. Low voltage is compensated by an increase in current draw, and heat as a byproduct. Increase in heat, causes further voltage drop, and current draw. It's a vicious cycle until the heat cooks the magic smoke out of the LED.
Old 09-23-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Bad contact, causing resistance and voltage drop. Could be in the fixture, or the wire to the fixture. Low voltage is compensated by an increase in current draw, and heat as a byproduct. Increase in heat, causes further voltage drop, and current draw. It's a vicious cycle until the heat cooks the magic smoke out of the LED.

Don't think so--study Ohm's law and try again.
Old 09-23-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
Very constructive.... I am sure that the OP values your input.

You've earned yourself an addition to my ignore list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 09-23-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Touchy, touchy....

How about both of you expanding a bit as to WHY others are right or wrong before you snipe at one another? After-all, this ain't the OT or PRWG pages.

However, loss of the factory-installed smoke is pretty highly correlated with electronics failures.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 09-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
Don, not so helpful, that, and flat wrong to boot. While your advice applies quite nicely to the simple, standard incandescent light bulb, the LED light is a semiconductor device that resides on a circuit board with a voltage regulator.

Mr. Herlihy has it right - the circuit tries to maintain constant output of light. It compensates for low voltage with additional current to deleterious effect. For semiconductor devices, too much current is their worst enemy. The power absorbed (R*I**2) across the high-resistance junction generates more heat per second than it can dissipate per second, which melts the junction. Thus ends their useful life.
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-23-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsob View Post
This bulb is a single contact bayonet basr with 12 leds. It is in a new fixture in the head. I seem to get about 30 to 50 hours of service from them before on led starts to blink then two ect. I have replaced it three times, warrenty,one shiped from Ancor. Any ideas?
The LED's from Ancor are a very cheaply made product, likely made with very inexpensive ballast resistors and cheap orphaned emitters. Quality bulbs will use a DC/DC constant current regulator to feed the emitters what they need for a long life.

I highly doubt the Ancor bulbs have the circuitry or heat sinking to keep the emitters at a temp they like.

You might try a factory made LED nav light built for the purpose from the likes of Hella, Aqua Signal or others..
dacap06 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-23-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
Don, not so helpful, that, and flat wrong to boot. While your advice applies quite nicely to the simple, standard incandescent light bulb, the LED light is a semiconductor device that resides on a circuit board with a voltage regulator.

Mr. Herlihy has it right - the circuit tries to maintain constant output of light. It compensates for low voltage with additional current to deleterious effect. For semiconductor devices, too much current is their worst enemy. The power absorbed (R*I**2) across the high-resistance junction generates more heat per second than it can dissipate per second, which melts the junction. Thus ends their useful life.
Yeah, so there!

Old 09-24-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I highly doubt the Ancor bulbs have the circuitry or heat sinking to keep the emitters at a temp they like.
Egads! Thanks for that info, Maine! I don't have personal experience with Ancor and didn't realize the company didn't do a proper job of designing support circuitry.

Ugh. How do people like that stay in business? As soon as clientele catch on their sales should plummet.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-24-2011

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post

]boy, that's a lot of big words. I'm not sure I understand completely, but I think you're saying the magic smoke got out? could't you just use the Internet tubes to pump more in?
dacap06 likes this.

Last edited by xymotic; 09-24-2011 at 09:43 AM.