Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-04-2011

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
I called around and got a few quotes on the soda blast, the best one came in at $2800.
That’s about 3X what I was expecting, so I started looking for an alternative.

There are a couple of products from “Peel Away”

Peel Away® Marine Safety Strip - 5 Gallons

Peel Away® Marine Strip - 5 Gallons

No solvents, no fumes, environmentally safe, won’t damage the gel coat, blah blah blah.

One looks like it will take the surface down to the gel coat, the other looks like it will leave the barrier coat intact.

The video states that if applied and pressure washed off, the process takes about 4 man hours to complete on a 40 foot boat. That sounds peachy, but I don’t believe it.

Anyone ever use this stuff?
The reviews I’ve read have been good, but they are few.

Thinking about using the stuff that leaves the barrier coat. Strip the old bottom paint this fall and fair any place that is undamaged and dry, but needs it. Let the rest of the hull dry out through the winter, fair what’s left, scuff sand, and apply a couple of barrier coats next spring.

Any better ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
I will be watching this thread closely. while I just have a tiny 22 footer, the ablative to VC-17 is exactly where I am going. I bought Interlux Strip 299E, which is also supposed to remove the garbage.

I will start a separate thread here, and post pictures if I accomplish anything with it. I am fully planning on having to sand as well, then barrier coat, then VC-17.
Old 10-04-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Anyone go the other direction...vc-17 to Ablative? I need to strip the vc-17 off because we are going to saltwater. Unfortunately, I cannot find any threads with anyone stripping the stuff off. The boat is still in the water and haven't yet tried to see how hard this stuff will be to sand off.
Old 10-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Anyone go the other direction...vc-17 to Ablative? I need to strip the vc-17 off because we are going to saltwater. Unfortunately, I cannot find any threads with anyone stripping the stuff off. The boat is still in the water and haven't yet tried to see how hard this stuff will be to sand off.
Yes, I have. It is very easy to sand off, particularly with a season's wear. However, you must get it all off. Nothing will stick to it. Pettit used to say some of their paints were compatible, but they seem to have retracted that position.

I have been told that it will actually wipe off with some solvent. Can't recall which. However, I'm trying to imagine having solvent running down my arms all day.

Edit disclosure: I didn't do all the sanding, but was there for the test when we were deciding which way to go. Orbital sander took it off with no effort at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 10-04-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Why not just sand the ablative very nicely with long boards and fine paper - down to 400 wet. That will give you a very smooth bottom for next season. Next spring, launch it and let the paint continue to ablate, like it is designed to. The more it ablates, the less work you will have to do to prep for VC17.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Why not just sand the ablative very nicely with long boards and fine paper - down to 400 wet. That will give you a very smooth bottom for next season. Next spring, launch it and let the paint continue to ablate, like it is designed to. The more it ablates, the less work you will have to do to prep for VC17.
I will certainly take that into consideration based on what she looks like at haul out, but that would be the easy way out. I’m just not happy unless it takes 3 times longer, is twice as difficult, and the aggravation level is 10 times higher to achieve the same result.

Honestly though, because we are racing the boat, I’d like to get the bottom as drag free as possible. We found several large areas where the paint had flaked off when we hauled out last year and it’s probably time to strip it down and start over. I'd really like to see what is going on beneath that old paint anyway, just to make sure everything is OK.
Old 10-05-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
I’m just not happy unless it takes 3 times longer, is twice as difficult, and the aggravation level is 10 times higher to achieve the same result.
We must have been separated at birth.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Tweegs, I don't know you or your boat, but offer this only as gross observation. I've seen many casual race boats with their owners obsessing over the hull, all the while the sheets and sails are nearly blown out, improper for conditions, or misfit. I would want it free of growth, but getting every last bump out is the last thing I would worry about to be sure I was going as fast a I could. Maybe all else is squared away on your vessel.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-05-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Lemme help... If your bottom looks like mine (yes that is me putting VC17 over ablative)... it held up for 2 months in the water (fresh water).. But the bottom is so rough it is tough to no start over. By the way, what you see in the picture is the result after 80 grit sandpaper sanding to try to "smooth it out" a bit.
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Tweegs, I don't know you or your boat, but offer this only as gross observation. I've seen many casual race boats with their owners obsessing over the hull, all the while the sheets and sails are nearly blown out, improper for conditions, or misfit. I would want it free of growth, but getting every last bump out is the last thing I would worry about to be sure I was going as fast a I could. Maybe all else is squared away on your vessel.
We had the sails cleaned last winter and the sail maker (Doyle) rated the main as in poor condition and the head sail (155 genny) in fair condition.

A 40 knot gust blew out the main for us early in the year and we replaced it with a Pentax sail (Mylar/Kevlar) with the S load tapes custom cut for the boat.

We ran the old genny all year knowing it wasn’t helping us much, but I just put a deposit on a new 135, again custom cut for the boat and of the same material used in the main.

For both sails the sail maker was out to the boat taking measurements, plugging those numbers into the computer, and using a sail makers sage and savvy to come up with a size and cut well suited to the boat. In our case the new head sail will be a #2, with a #2 weight and a #1 cut. We’ll use the old 155 in really light air.

We’ll have good sails for next year, but another problem to be addressed is that 16” fixed 3 blade prop. A 2 blade folding prop will replace it over the winter, a rigid vang is also on tap.

We put on a new traveler and added Genoa lead tracks over the summer, so at this point all of the big performance robbers have been or will be addressed. That leaves the bottom.

The bottom needs work if only from a general maintenance perspective. I figure that as long as we’re doing the work anyway, we may as well slick her up for the race season.

My thinking is that if the boat can sail to its potential, then it is all about the crew sailing it to its potential, and we know we have a lot of work to do there.

I'll snap a few pics at haul out to give a flavor of what I'm up against, though I don't think I'm in as bad a shape as SHNOOL.