Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
We had the sails cleaned last winter and the sail maker (Doyle) rated the main as in poor condition and the head sail (155 genny) in fair condition.

A 40 knot gust blew out the main for us early in the year and we replaced it with a Pentax sail (Mylar/Kevlar) with the S load tapes custom cut for the boat.

We ran the old genny all year knowing it wasn’t helping us much, but I just put a deposit on a new 135, again custom cut for the boat and of the same material used in the main.

For both sails the sail maker was out to the boat taking measurements, plugging those numbers into the computer, and using a sail makers sage and savvy to come up with a size and cut well suited to the boat. In our case the new head sail will be a #2, with a #2 weight and a #1 cut. We’ll use the old 155 in really light air.

We’ll have good sails for next year, but another problem to be addressed is that 16” fixed 3 blade prop. A 2 blade folding prop will replace it over the winter, a rigid vang is also on tap.

We put on a new traveler and added Genoa lead tracks over the summer, so at this point all of the big performance robbers have been or will be addressed. That leaves the bottom.

The bottom needs work if only from a general maintenance perspective. I figure that as long as we’re doing the work anyway, we may as well slick her up for the race season.

My thinking is that if the boat can sail to its potential, then it is all about the crew sailing it to its potential, and we know we have a lot of work to do there.

I'll snap a few pics at haul out to give a flavor of what I'm up against, though I don't think I'm in as bad a shape as SHNOOL.
I just realized you are in fresh water - why not just do a 400 grit wet sand on the bottom? Why do you need paint?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2011

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
I’ve been asked that before, why we put bottom paint on here, and I really don’t have a good answer.

If you look around the marina in the spring, at the bee hive of activity going on, you’ll see the vast majority of sailboat owners out there putting on a fresh coat of bottom paint, while the majority of power boat owners are just waxing their hulls.

Being relatively new to the game, I figured these other sailboat owners knew something I didn’t. Few, if any, will make the trek up the St. Laurence to salt water in a given year. I’d say less than 10% of the sailboats in the marina race, so it’s not like they are all looking for an extra edge. So why do they apply anti-fouling paint?

We do get a good layer of scum built up at the water line, zebra mussels too, if you aren’t careful. Last year at haul out there was a fine layer of algae covering the bottom, I attributed this to improper care by the PO, which is why we made sure to do a good job before launching last spring. Was it enough to hinder performance? Couldn’t tell ya, but I am anxious to see what it looks like when we haul out this year.

I’ll do some research and see if I can find a legitimate reason for applying bottom paint here on the lakes.

Regardless of what we do, that bottom will look good before we go back in next spring. It just won’t do to show the whole world a trashy bottom on that upwind beat.

Last edited by Tweegs; 10-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook