Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have to disagree and can say after using both brands i prefer Awlgrip over Perfection and its MUCH tougher than one part

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 09-28-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
I have painted my Lapworth 36 in the water and on the land. I would not do it in the water again as it was way too hard on my back. I just completed painting half way down the hull and that is most of what you see when you walk by, isn't as hard on the back, and came out nice. I would not suggest you do it that way, but I had cracks to repair as I do every year and you can't haul out every year and you can't paint the entire hull every year.The thing that might be useful is that I bought a new vacuum from Home Depot, a portable 4gal 5 amp. I used a long hose I got with another sander and a 5 inch Bosh palm sander. No sanding dust at all in the water. By comparison, sanding a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spot for 3 seconds without a vacuum puts a lot of dust in the water.This time I used a brush but previously I used a roller and a brush. I would never use a roller and brush again even out of the water. I think that is the way to go if you have two people but it is just easier to stick with a brush than switch back and fourth. I used a 2 inch brush, a good brush very expensive, but not that big. It was easy but I was not going all the way to the bootstripe.
A few slightly off topic questions:
Why does the hull have cracks every year?
Why do you choose the brush over the roller? On the topsides, I go with a roller on everything except when I have to cut something in. If you look close, you can tell where I used the brush. I have never found tipping useful, though, I haven't used two part paint. I think Casey even says on light colors you can achieve a satisfactory result with roller only, leaving only a slight "orange peel" effect. Wouldn't a roller give you a smoother finish on a Hull?
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
The thing that might be useful is that I bought a new vacuum from Home Depot, a portable 4gal 5 amp. I used a long hose I got with another sander and a 5 inch Bosh palm sander. No sanding dust at all in the water. By comparison, sanding a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spot for 3 seconds without a vacuum puts a lot of dust in the water.
I've worked with a orbital sander that had a dedicated vacuum attached that was really effective. It should be... I just priced it and it's $800! I'm trying to find a place to rent one. So far no luck. You give me another option I had thought about, but thought might not work. I have found most of the dust containment systems on sanders next to useless (think they are more for marketing than anything else). Didn't think a shop vac would make much of a difference. I'll try it. Thanks!
By the way, for those worried about electrocution (I'm not) pneumatic sanders are available.
Old 09-29-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I think this is one of those questions that the logical part of your brain has already answered, but the other half is hoping someone will come and convince you otherwise...lol.

The thing is, with attempting to paint in the water you expose yourself to too many unsatisfactory options, as opposed to hauling. The key is in the prep, and even though I'm sure you can stand back and "eye" your hull and convince yourself yours wouldn't need as much......odds are it will need more. It always needs more than we hope for. The risk of environmental exposure, personal electrocution exposure (lol), and the high probability of ending up with a less than satisfactory result should equal haul out. If there's a problem with hauling at your current yard, isn't there another place you could do so at?

Imagine this, at least for a moment; you've spent hundreds of dollars on the paint, countless hours in precarious positions prepping the hull and then a similar amount of time on the painting process itself only to step back while looking at the finished product and say to yourself, "Wow, it looked a lot better BEFORE I tried this". If it's an option, it has to be considered. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
If you want a good finish, med moor your boat and take one of your halyards to a good position on land. The boat will heel to one side and offer you good working conditions. After you are finished with one side,turn the boat to other direction and apply the paint to the other side. Make sure the paint is "touch dry" before yo let go the halyard. You need one day for each side.
I like this idea, but don't understand the need for the med moore. As I recall, that means having an anchor holding the bow, and lines attached to the dock aft. I assume not having lines on Port or Starboard allows the boat to heel more freely. However, I don't think my dock mates would appreciate an anchor set in the middle of the Fairway. In addition, I doubt I could get enough scope the hold the boat when I heeled her. Couldn't I basically do the same thing using very loose lines to the dock on the side to be painted?
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I think this is one of those questions that the logical part of your brain has already answered, but the other half is hoping someone will come and convince you otherwise...lol.The thing is, with attempting to paint in the water you expose yourself to too many unsatisfactory options, as opposed to hauling. The key is in the prep, and even though I'm sure you can stand back and "eye" your hull and convince yourself yours wouldn't need as much......odds are it will need more. It always needs more than we hope for. The risk of environmental exposure, personal electrocution exposure (lol), and the high probability of ending up with a less than satisfactory result should equal haul out. If there's a problem with hauling at your current yard, isn't there another place you could do so at? Imagine this, at least for a moment; you've spent hundreds of dollars on the paint, countless hours in precarious positions prepping the hull and then a similar amount of time on the painting process itself only to step back while looking at the finished product and say to yourself, "Wow, it looked a lot better BEFORE I tried this". If it's an option, it has to be considered. Good luck.
Not at all. I asked the question to obtain opinions and ideas, both of which, I have achieved. As usual, the spectrum of opinions has been rather stark. This is understandable, given the varying boats (I have a white hull, and would not attempt to paint the hull in the water if I had a Midnight Blue hull), degrees of experience, expectations and goals of the members. I simply have to see which ones I feel comfortable with, given my experience and expectations. In this case, based on this thread, I am leaning toward painting in the water, masking off the existing Boot stripe and using single part paint (not two part as proposed in my OP). Though I don't believe for a second that it is as durable as two part, it's easier to work with, less expensive, and I could easily touch up any dings in the berth as needed. However, I still have to find a method to control dust. I clearly stated in my OP that I anticipate lots of prep, and don't expect perfect results. BTW...come to think of it, the hull I saw painted to perfection (IMO) in the water WAS Midnight Blue! But then, that demonstrates the experience factor!

Last edited by L124C; 09-29-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2011

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
Start doing some prep work in the water, and you would see how it is working out.

In my quite limited experience (I've repainted one small boat, barrier coat, 2-part topsides, deck etc), I can not imagine how troublesome would be the haulout to justify the "in the water" option. How good are you at this job? Only if you are the greatest at boatpainting, the results will be acceptable in the more challeging situation. otherwise, it is complicated enogh task in a perfect setting.
On the 2-part vs 1-part, there is little doubt that wich is better, but still one part could be good enough, and less worries to apply.
Old 11-03-2011

Well....I did it. I painted half the hull in the berth. Thanks to celenoglu for suggesting kedging to raise the hull. This was crucial. Not only does it provide better access on the side to be painted, but it stabilizes the boat. I was able to let out the stern and pull in the bow (or visa versa) as needed. In addition, the wind could have picked up substantially, and the wet paint would have still been high and dry. I didn't find a need to "Med Moore" the boat. I simply slacked the lines on the side I intended to paint. I put a block on the end of the halyard and ran another line (line 2) through it. I hoisted the block to the top of the mast, ran one end of line 2 to a dock cleat three boats down the dock (on the side of the boat not being painted), making sure it cleared my dock mates rigging. I ran the other end of line two into a block on deck (side to be painted) and back to a jib sheet winch. I could heel the boat 5 degrees by hand, 10 or more using the winch.
Conditions were good, light wind, about 70 degrees. I tried to work from a dingy, but quickly figured out it was better to work off the dock. for the lower sections, I sat on the dock with my legs in the water. Hooked my palm sander to a shop vac, and put a foam pad between the hull and the dock to catch additional dust. This kept any dust to a minimum. Initially, I was borrowing a double finger slip, but soon figured out that I could work off my single finger dock.
Note: The power supply came from shore power via the boat. I have GFI circuits on the boat. In fact, I got mildly zapped on the dock one time when I stupidly sprayed the dock with water with an extension cord on it! I also dropped a cord in the water. In both cases, the GFI instantly popped the circuit. My dock supply DOES NOT have GFI protection (hard to believe, but true!). I'm not an electrician, but would certainly NOT advise working with power tools on the dock, without GFI protection.
The pictures show the boat in position for preping and painting the bow to midships. When I needed access to midships to Stern, I would let out the bow line and pull in the stern line. The other picture is the Starboard side in same position.
I used single part paint, mainly because I didn't want to deal with learning to maneuverer the boat, and deal with two part paint at the same time. Having done it, I would have no hesitation in using two part paint.
The inconvenience of maneuvering the boat and extra dust control was out weighed by the commute to a yard, working in a nice familiar environment (my slip) for which I would be paying anyway. Sitting on the dock with your feet in the water (on a nice day), beats standing on scaffolding in a yard any day IMO!
I think it is worth considering painting your hull in the slip If:
You are in reasonably good shape
Your marina will allow it, or doesn't care enough to realize it's happening (my case!).
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone painted their hull in the water?-port-bow-painting-position.jpg   Has anyone painted their hull in the water?-port-bow-painting-position-starboard.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 11-03-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Nice work!
Old 11-05-2011

SanSimon is on a distinguished road
deck painting

Any tips / recomendations on painting a deck out of the water? It sounds like you have experience with this - one part or two part - preparation what works best ect. We have an 85 27 Ericson that we want to give new life to but don't want to turn it into a horror story. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.