Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011

andrewoliv is on a distinguished road
Genoa/Jib Tracks

I have a Mariner 28 equipped with Genoa/Jib Tracks both Starboard and Port. Any idea why these are located inside the shrouds?

I am using blocks on the gunwales vs the tracks to keep the headsail outside the shrouds. I would prefer to use the tracks because they are easier to adjust.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Your tracks are probably located inside the shrouds for better trimming while you are close hauled with a small jib (maximum 100%). For off the weather sailing you may add additional tracks outside the shrouds. make sure they are properly located for the genova you are using.
Old 09-26-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
I agree with Celenoglu.

The boat was probably set up to use a Jib, which generally means that the main source of power is the mainsail. If you choose to use a genoa, then the track (or at least the block) would have to be outside and aft of the shrouds.

Three alternatives come to mind.
1. Use the current tracks for a 100% or less jib but add a couple of snatch block to the toerail a couple of feet foreward of the shrouds on each side. Then for sailing downwind just pass the jib sheet through the snatch block, much like a baberhaul.

2. Add another genoa track outside and aft of the shrouds for a genoa, or reaching with a jib and use the inside track for flying a jib to weather.

3. Add a simple block to the deck aft and outside the shrouds for sailing with a genoa.

All should work depending on your preference for adding hardware and headsail.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 09-26-2011

Thanks for the comments. I should point out that the tracks lie about 1 foot behind the shrouds, but not fully outside the shrouds, nor fully inside the shrouds. More in the middle. Fully inside and further up would imply as was suggested a 100 or smaller jib close to the wind.

I am buying a 130 Genoa so I will se how it fits. I may end up moving the tracks further back and outside the shrouds.

Thanks again
Old 09-26-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I would put a second set of tracks for the 130-150 sails one might like to use and leave the inside tracks for blades. I have this option on my boat, and it works quite well!

Marty
Old 09-26-2011

Very cool, thanks!
Old 09-26-2011

Bump is on a distinguished road
Tracks

I also have a Mariner 28, as I recall the chainplates are very close to the toe rail. No room to put tracks on the outside. And the 28 was designed to use a genoua.
andrewoliv likes this.
Old 09-26-2011

Bump Glad to meet you!

Yes! another Mariner 28 owner. I just love this boat. I have heard the same thing that the boat was designed for a genoa which is why I am purchasing a 130.

Do you use the tracks?
Old 09-26-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
The angle at which the jib/genoa CLEW to TACK usually optimizes is: 10-12 degrees. A lesser angle will usually promote 'pinching', a larger angle will promote 'reaching'. This optimization is usually clew to tack and NOT jib fairlead car to tack .... its where the clew of the sail is in relation to the tack thats the important consideration (for close hauled optimization).

This angle is simply determined by measuring the angle from the boats centerline at the tack ... and 'drawing' an imaginary line along this 'angle' back to the rail/gunnel. If the 'line' goes outside the shrouds or inside the shrouds really doesnt matter, just as long as the 'line' is on the 10-12 degree line, and the clew is set and directly 'over' the 10-12 degree line. This is a 'basic' setting and of course the jib fairlead car will be moved back and forth to attain the proper fairlead car position so that the luff of the headsail will 'break/luff' simultaneously when it begins to luff. The more 'easily driven' or lighter weight the boat the car may be set to the 10° line, the heavier and less ability to 'accelerate' boat the closer to the 12° line.

The best way to verify this 10-12° line is to develop your own polar plots (countless trials and record keeping vs. various windspeeds and resultant boat speed and actual course angle ... corrected to 'true wind' .... sailed) while following a VMG course to a 'mark' at a somewhat 'infinite' distance away from the boat.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The camber (curve) of the sail should accommodate the shrouds/spreaders even when the genoa is sheeted to the tracks. With the small jib it may not work, for the wide angle will inhibit pointing ability.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)