Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-26-2011

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
West Marine Binocular Recall?

I own a pair of West Marine Tahiti Binoculars, they have a compass built in.

I've been using them a lot lately when racing, and have noticed the side with the marks/compass, whatever it is that has t he marks on it is covered in dust (internally). Depending on where the sun is, it can be very distracting. A racing buddy of mine used my binoculars a few weekends ago and said his had the same problem, he took them back to WM and they gave him another pair (I guess they discontinued this line)

I went to the WM in Orange, CA and the manager said he didn't have much of a selection and to take it to a bigger store. So we went down to Newport Beach and the manager there seemed to be looking for a way out of honoring their lifetime warranty. I don't have a receipt, they are over 5 years old, I searched every box of papers in storage and didn't find any receipts older than 2006, but I'm pretty sure my dad bought them for me for my birthday one year.

It's pretty frustrating that West Marine won't honor their own warranty. It's not like they're some generic brand I could have bought someplace else... they are west marine brand and only sold at west marine.

Does anybody else have any issues with the quality of WM's binocular's or them honoring their lifetime warranty?

Last edited by n0w0rries; 09-26-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
email WM, Attention of Chuck Hawley.....

wmCustomerService@westmarine.com

Just cut and paste the post you just made. I would be surprised if you do not get a positive response.

Returning defective WM Binos has never been an issue where I work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-26-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I had a lower cost pair that went haywire too. one mgr was a PITA, then another I knew exchanged no questions! I may need to look at my Tahiti's too. I bought a pair about a year ago.

marty
Old 09-26-2011

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the email referral, I got an email from Chuck but the manager already took care of it for me.

First I was told I must have dropped them, that if only they had water in them would it be an easy replacement. Then she said she would take my binoculars and $69.99 and give me a new one. When I declined (if I spent any money it would be for a nicer pair of steiners)

When I checked them out the design is a little different, so hopefully they don't end up dusty again. If they do, I've got a new receipt and I'm going to be sure I don't lose it this time!

I also put the receipt for my WM dinghy in a safe place.
Old 09-26-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
I don't have a receipt, .......
HORSE POOPEY ... WM can track ALL orders/purchases made you for several YEARS ... just by entering your 'customer number' or BoatUS member number on their computer system.

WM usually handles complaints and returns for defective items ... quickly and courteously.
Old 05-02-2014

byrnwallace is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine Binocular Recall?

Does anybody know where you can purchase replacement eye cups for West Marine Tahiti 7x50 binoculars.
Thanks
Byron
Old 05-03-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

If you run into a WM manager who is less than helpful, I suggest you politely ask him for his name, his store number and the phone number of corporate headquarters. His desire to keep up his sales record probably won't supersede his desire not to have a customer complain about him by name.
Old 05-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
HORSE POOPEY ... WM can track ALL orders/purchases made you for several YEARS ... just by entering your 'customer number' or BoatUS member number on their computer system.
That is true if one is a "member". Many are not...

Quote:
WM usually handles complaints and returns for defective items ... quickly and courteously.
That is true and generally regardless of whether one is a "member". Unfortunately, I have seen this "Macy's Policy" (accept returns/exchanges without question) abused mercilessly.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.