Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
New Found Metals: TRI-Matrix Ports

I am replacing all of my old and worn standard ports with opening ports as part of my full boat restoration. I've settled on New Found Metals through many testimonials and references. However, most people have recommended going with their stainless or bronze ports. Unfortunately, those are a bit out of my price range, but they offer an less expensive alternative in the TRI-Matrix ports:

New Found Metals - The New Self-Sealing TriMatrix

Does anyone have any experience with these ports or wish to offer testimonial (good or bad) about these? They appear to be more solid than any other brand of non-metal ports, and the price is right. I like that they have a gasket as part of the unit. If there is an overwhelming "NO! Don't get these!" I will probably drop the cash for stainless ports.

For reference, I am rebuilding a Downeaster 38 to go cruising in the tropics. Will be doing plenty of off-shore passages, but do not plan on high latitude cruising.

On a side note about purchasing ports from NFM, is there a potential savings by purchasing them all (I will need 6) at a boat show? Has anyone experienced getting a discount with NFM before?

I need to make the decision soon as I will be cutting out the templates while I am in the process of making dust and mess in the cabin.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Irrelevant personal note, they look kinda "Borg"ish, plastic ports with metal reinforcing bits as if someone said "We need three ounces of metal but we've only got one...spread it around."

It never hurts to ask a company directly, when or if they will have show specials, or can make any other accomodation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011

saillife is on a distinguished road
I don't have experience with these ports but I have dealt with the company before. Liked them a lot. Really seem to have their business act together.
Brian
Old 09-26-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLING. If your cutting from outside stick a plastic bag on the inside to collect all the dust gaffer tape and plastic bags before the job starts can save loads of time when clearing up aafter work has finnished GOOD LUCK! GO SAFE.
Old 09-26-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Irrelevant personal note, they look kinda "Borg"ish, plastic ports with metal reinforcing bits as if someone said "We need three ounces of metal but we've only got one...spread it around."
I've had similar thoughts on these--though not near so humorous I'm sorry, but I think they're funky. I'd go with metal or plastic, but not a mashup of the two.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

The all plastic Beckson work fine and the TRI-Matrix ports look a WHOLE lot better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2011

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I know that this is probably against this boards policy...

to reply a post when you have ANY direct experience of the item in question, so I hope I don't get in too much trouble.

1. I bought these ports (12) at the Miami boat show. They threw in the bug screens for free.

2. They perform as advertised.

3. Once I worked through the installation (partly due to the instruction manual (see rant) and partly due my own incompetence) installation was a breeze.

4. I really like them (i.e. I rarely notice them, they don't leak, they open when asked, they haven't broken).

5. I paid extra to have the tempered glass.

6. Only complaint is that the big screens are fiddly to install.

ps. My last boat was a DE38.

The Incredible Hull: Ports

LandLocked66c likes this.

Old 09-29-2011
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
to reply a post when you have ANY direct experience of the item in question, so I hope I don't get in too much trouble.

1. I bought these ports (12) at the Miami boat show. They threw in the bug screens for free.

2. They perform as advertised.

3. Once I worked through the installation (partly due to the instruction manual (see rant) and partly due my own incompetence) installation was a breeze.

4. I really like them (i.e. I rarely notice them, they don't leak, they open when asked, they haven't broken).

5. I paid extra to have the tempered glass.

6. Only complaint is that the big screens are fiddly to install.

ps. My last boat was a DE38.

The Incredible Hull: Ports
Thanks! It was your blog that turned me onto these in the first place. Do you have a more zoomed out picture of the boat with a full side of windows in view?
Old 09-29-2011

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Ok

LandLocked66c likes this.

Old 01-19-2012

WayneGilham is on a distinguished road
Satisfied TriMatrix user -- link to blog on installing them!

I did indeed purchase a whole set of these for installation on my thru-hull ports on an Irwin 43 center-cockpit sloop, which had the Gray Industries plastic ports so common from that era -- found the TriMatrix ones fit almost exactly in the existing holes (just a bit of trimming) -- they have not leaked at all, what with the sealing o-ring of silicone, rather than needing any bedding compound. NFM's all-SSTL ports seemed to be just too heavy a "look", and overkill --- besides, those do not have the silicone o-ring but rely on bedding compound (which can dry out and crack...)

for my write-up on the installation procedure, with lots of photos, See: irwinboats.com and click on the firsst article on that home-page.

Regards,
Wayne Gilham
"Hakuna Matata", 1985 Irwin 43 now lying Tacoma WA