Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Storing mast on deck

I will be putting my mast on deck this winter with a couple of wood crutches. I want to be able to form a little bit of a tent to work on the boat. Any tips for storing the mast on deck?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Depending upon where you are located, the pitch of the "roof" may or may not be important. If you were storing it where I live, you would want it high enough and supported enough to shed the snow and ice.

We stored our T22 mast on deck on 2x4 "crutches and it was no problem. Well supported and well slopped.

Rik
Old 09-27-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Ditto on proper pitch. You get your share of snow in Wisconsin, and if you get snow accumulation on your cover, with the cover going over your stanchions, you will end up with bent stanchions.

I'd suggest you start with a reasonable pitch, and also, if possible, run 2x4's across your beam from stanchion to stanchion. It's a hassle, but so are bent stanchions.

Obviously, you'll be removing your spreaders. Carpet is good to lay over the mast to avoid abrading through your tarp. You probably also want to cap your stanchions with carpet.

If your stanchions are two piece...a base and a column, you might consider removing the columns, as it will increase your pitch without raising the mast, and eliminate the possibility of bending your stanchions.

Bottom line: wet snow is HEAVY
Old 09-27-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Your big enemy is chafe, in particular when the tarp flaps in the wind. What type of tarps are you using? The grommets on the blue plastic ones are useless and will not last the winter. A friend uses them and has discovered a great system. He runs large numbers of polypropylene libes (mostly from the dumpster) back and forth over the top of the tarp. and around the cradle supports. The net of lines takes the load. Lines to the grommets only act to keep the corners in place. Something like that along with suggestions made previously about pitch and padding should do the trick.

BTW, one advantage of the plastic tarps is that they are slippery so snow slides off more easily than with cloth tarps.
Old 09-28-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
My tark is not used in cold climates.

I use plastic PET bottles cut down so the base fits uside down on the staunchions to provide a greater blunt area to support the tarp. A slit down the side is handy to straddle the life lines.

Cut tennis balls does the same as the bases of the PET bottles.