Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-28-2011

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
Removing old wax before buffing/rewaxing

I have read Maine's excellent post several times over the last couple years. I have used most of it's advice over the last 3 years, trying to get the gelcoat on my 81 Islander 30 in better shape. It is getting better but it seems to be a long process. One thing I would like advice on is REMOVING the old wax before doing more compounding, polishing, and applying new wax. I have tried all sorts of chemicals including Black Streak Remover, Dawn, 202, MEK, liquid and powder TSD, etc. Any recommendations for products, tools, and techniques would be appreciated. Note, I did get (and love) the Makita buffer.
Harbin2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
On my J24 using the guide i also used the on and off to take care of the stains it had picked up over the season and never had and issue with wax buildup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If the wax is old there's no real need to remove it. If you feel you must naptha works very well, even on polymers like Awlcare, but so will washing the hull with Lemmon Joy, that stuff eats wax..

Just wash and begin buffing...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-28-2011

I have some On and Off. I have not found it to do much for the type stains I normally have. And it was pretty costly. It does do a good job of eating the skin off my fingers though. I have found the best value for cleaning the hull to be the black streak remover I get at Walmart for under $5 a bottle (in the RV section).

Thanks Maine. I won't be so concerned with it in the future. I do a good job of cleaning before buffing and the hull wax is usually a year old. I'm sure all the cleaning and weathering it gets, much of it does wear. That's why the dirt from the scuppers sticks to the sides so readily after a few months. I did get some Joy a year ago - what dilution would you recommend?
Old 09-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbin2 View Post
I have some On and Off. I have not found it to do much for the type stains I normally have. And it was pretty costly. It does do a good job of eating the skin off my fingers though. I have found the best value for cleaning the hull to be the black streak remover I get at Walmart for under $5 a bottle (in the RV section).
What is the stuff from Walmart called??
Old 09-28-2011

I'm not sure - it's down at the boat. It's in the RV section at Walmart and they have 3 or 4 different products by the same company in 16 oz spray bottles. Also, I read that we are not supposed to be listing names of products here at Sailnet.
Old 09-28-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, I read that we are not supposed to be listing names of products here at Sailnet.
Where did you read that? You can't have a product in your username, but products are discussed all the time.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-28-2011

Look at the top of the page you are reading. Every one of my pages states the following:

Notices
Effective: 9/22/11 - Sailnet Usernames may not be the names of commercial enterprises, products or websites. Any existing members with names that violate this policy will be contacted and given the opportunity to change their username.....

I think this goes a little overboard but I don't like getting ads here so I'm trying to comply.

Last edited by harbin2; 09-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
harbin, it used to be that everyone just bought cheap unscented AMMONIA from the grocery store to strip the wax off their floors. Janitors still use it for that.

No need for petrochemicals and exotic solvents, ammonia still strips wax, fairly cheap. Nasty to breath so try to work upwind of yourself, so to speak. But ammonia and a scrub brush, followed by more ammonia and paper towels, since they trap contaminants and you throw them away.

Now, if someone used one of those "miracle polymer sealants" on your hull instead of real wax, you may need something like 3M PrepSolv, which is a solvent designed to take off all that stuff, not just waxes. Any auto body supply should have it. They'll also have cheaper brands that might be the same stuff--but I'd check the fine print to be sure it really is the same stuff, not just cheaper.
Old 09-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Look at the top of the page you are reading. Every one of my pages states the following:

Notices
Effective: 9/22/11 - Sailnet Usernames may not be the names of commercial enterprises, products or websites. Any existing members with names that violate this policy will be contacted and given the opportunity to change their username.....

I think goes a little overboard but I don't like getting ads here so I'm trying to comply.
If you were pimping your commercially available product called "Harbin's Hull Cleaner," there might be an issue. However, there is nothing wrong with recommending a product, by name, here on Sailnet.

Even if you have an interest, it's OK, as long as you post a disclaimer in your signature. The rule above simply states that you cannot have a username that pimps your product (an unfortunate example would be the user Actisense - they used to be active here, but would be in violation of the policy to which you refer. I suggest that they change their username to NMEA0183 MASTER)

Here watch this (famous last words);
  • I think SensiBulbs are awesome
  • I have had good luck with West System Six-10® when filling cracks, and potting holes in my deck
  • I believe that 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ is good stuff, but stupid expensive
  • I also rely on my Garmin GPSmap 478 to get me where I'm going on land *and* water.