As some of you know, probably most of ya, we lost the Seasmoke job. Here are some pictures of her in her current sad state.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
The ribs in the salon need R&R work at the Garboard turn but are solid elsewhere.
Four ribs starboard and forward need R&R, along with two plank sections.
The cockpit carlins need R&R and the cockpit rebuilt to specs. It had been modified badly by a PO. That's simple frame and plywood work.
The aft house bulkhead is toast but ready to R&R, also of veneered ply, an easy fix.
The interior (most of it) can go back in. A few pieces need replacing.
The side decks need work but I was going to do stairstep cuts for each 1/4 inch layer using 4" spacing for scarphing. That would preclude lifting the entire house.
The house is suffering from separation of the halves in the aft section. This was caused by those solid inserts holding the large opening ports you see in earlier photos.
We figured out how the good folks at Kettenburg joing the house sections and devised a simple way to fix the splitting and insure it doesn't happen again.
There are some gouges in the sidewalls of the house caused on removal of the insert (which were epoxied in) which we will use dutchman's to fill. With some tedious fitment,
you'd never notice. I would suggest replacing both cockpit coamings with new Luan so they match, as one is badly split. The house front must be lifted about 1/2 inch to get
the foredeck off as it needs replacing. The quarterdecks and aft deck will need R&R. The decks are actually simple to
do right. Kettenburg in their genius did 1/4 inch layers of plywood, offsetting any seams by feet where applicable. This and the practice of running the decking over the top
of the sheer plank, rather then butting against it, made K-boats much less prone to the fresh water rot issues at the deck edges which kill most other wooden boats. The only
way a Kettenburg deck gets compromised is by a bad hatch install or poor rebedding of the toerails, which happened with Seasmoke.
Right now, she's filthy from the demo, as you can see but her bones are good. I cannot afford to keep her where she is, not at $900 per month. This is one boat that should
not be left to die. However, if I cannot find a way to either store her or get her gone, she will surely die and I'll be the one forced to salvage her out. That's not what
I planned when we went down and saved her from the saws last year.