Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2011

marksatterfield is on a distinguished road
In mast roller furling gets stuck

Hi,

I sail a Beneteau Oceanis 40 with in-mast roller furling system. Problem is, the main often gets "stuck" during the furling process or the unfurling process. Not completely sure about this, but it seems that the "stuck" part happens because of the belly in the sail as it is being reefed or furled, and there is simply not enough room in the mast to handle the loose belly.

The process we undertake to unfurl is typical:
  1. Head to wind
  2. Release sheet and vang
  3. Keep tension on furl line while bringing sail out with the outhaul

Process for furling that we have been using is:
  1. Head to wind
  2. Release sheet and vang
  3. Keep tension on outhaul while bringing the sail in with the furl line.

Idea

I'm thinking that we'd be better served by hardening up on the vang, which should keep the clew "down" and the leech tighter -- thereby making the belly tighter while furling. I don't see a way that this can cause any issues, since the clew is forced to be wherever it needs to be by way of the turning block on the outhaul car. Basically:

For furling or reefing:
  1. Head to wind
  2. Release the sheet, harden up the vang
  3. Keep tension on the outhaul while bringing the sail in with the furl line

I'm equally thinking that hardening up on the boom vang (of course, keeping the main sheet loose!) while unfurling would be a good idea. The safety measure is the same -- the clew of the sail is actually not attached to the boom, but to a turning block on the outhaul car, which allows the sail to fly as high as is necessary without damage.

For unfurling:
  1. Head to wind
  2. Release the sheet, harden up the vang
  3. Keep tension on the furl line while bringing the sail out with the outhaul

What am I missing? The owner thinks this is not a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by marksatterfield; 10-09-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: misspelled leech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Check your topping lift tension. There is an optimal angle for furling and unfurling the sail. You may have ease / harden the mainsheet or vang tension to get it right.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-10-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
our other boat has a selden system, it works best when your not head up, keeping pressure on the sail as you furl keeps it tight.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-10-2011

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road
I have intentionally been eliminating boats that have an in-mast furling system from my search, maybe I will reconsider or at least try it out
Old 10-10-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Could your sail be so stretched out that it's bunching up?

Mine only gets stuck coming out at the very beginning. Usually a couple of short pulls on the in furler line tightens the roll enough that the sail has lots of clearance inside the mast, and it it then comes out easily.

At what point does it get stuck?
Old 10-10-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
+1 to jackdale and poopdeckpappy

In mast was not my first choice but the boat I found fit every other way. The topping lift can be friend or foe, I set mine so the boom is about 3 inches above my head which puts the aft of the boom about 5-7 degrees above horizontal. Sail furls and unfurls quite easily. Any other position and it is difficult or will bind. Also I head slightly off the wind when furling, not much but not quite in irons. I suspect that hardening your vang will cause you to fight the sail as it tries to furl. The foot of the sail should roll upward into the mast, if that makes any sense, giving an offset spiral at the bottom. At least that is how mine works on a Catalina 310.

Good luck and let us know what works for you.
Old 10-10-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have the Hood Stoboom and a regular roller furling Genoa

They both roll up fine BUT minor changes make big differences in the size of the roll

For example the Genoa clearly rolls tighter on a starboard reach and a somewhat loser roll will leave many wraps of line on the drum

The Stoboom is very angle dependent and only rolls up tight dead up wind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
The boom needs be perpendicular to the mast and a little pressure on the sail. Measure and pre-mark your topping lift and vang for the correct boom orientation (in your slip) and head off a bit to keep a little pressure on the sail when furling.

FWIW..
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
To be honest I am still trying to come to grips with our in mast furler but one thing I do know, you must keep some tension of the sail as your furl. Don't go completely dead to wind, bear away just enough to keep the sail full enough to stop the boom beating about.

(my biggest problem is controlling the outhaul as we furl .)

edit - in this case I am referring to a reefing furl not a complete furl.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
When I first started using in mast furling it was a struggle and a frustration. I flushed the bearings, lubed the tracks with Sailcote, prayed to God, gnashed my teeth and cursed. Finally figured out that I had to let the mainsheet and vang run free, keep tension on the outhaul or inhaul line depending upon deployment out of or furling into the mast. And, stay slightly off the wind, in my case a little over the starboard helps to smoothly unfurl the sail and keeps the sail filled as I roll it in. Very similar to what others have described.

Keep at it and you'll find your comfort zone. That, or you might take up another activity. Golf isn't a frustrating game...
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD

Tags
furling , in mast furl , main furling , roller furling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.