SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

12 volt appliances - wanted -TV-plasma tv, microwave, washer

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dpboatnut 
#1 ·
What is recommended and where can one shop for the following: I am looking for some 12 v appliances to have on extended cruises. Microwave, DVD player, biggest TV in 12( any plasma or lcd big screens for the marine environment yet?)

That new LED technology lights that are far more efficiant than what''s out there. Any bulbs available for standar 12 volt light sockets? How about a compact washer dryer, and maybe a dishwasher. Not rinky-dink but quality?

#4 ·
All the microwave''s I''ve found so far were 110v models sold along with an inverter, and think that will not be out of norm for a lot of 12v applicances.

Some of the easier 12v stuff to find comes from searching for RV applicances. There are 12v things like hair dryers, electric frying pans, vacuum cleaners, blenders, coffee makers, etc. Couple of easy links are:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3353&BQ=rv
and
http://www.koolatron.com/index.html

Where they have a good sample. Just keep in mind that many of these RV items are not marine-quality. YMMV for safety, reliability and feasibility. I''d be real, real careful with anything that can burn-up, like hair dryers and frying pans. You can''t epoxy them to safety, etc. and I''ve always thought its amps that hurt more than volts in this area.

Hope it helps some...

Jonathan

#5 ·
Camping World caters to the RV crowd. They have a number of 12V appliances. They have a large showroom near where I work in Orlando, but also have a web site.
However, we also have found it easier and cheaper in the long run to use an inverter and keep some appliances 120V AC.
I.e. A/C, washer-dryer, stereo, coffee-maker, and microwave, and some tools. Microwaves have a reputation for being particularly hard to drive from an inexpensive inverter, by the way.

#6 ·
We''ve had boats that were all 12v and boats that had an inverter with most everything but the cabin lights using 120v. Life is MUCH easier with the 120v setup and a good sized inverter. We have a 2500 watt unit that powers hair dryers, microwaves and inflatable boat pumps.

The inverter also knows to shut off if you''re using too much juice, so you''ll be able to start your engine again. We use the Heart Interface and have never had a problem with it. It may not be the answer to your question, but that''s our experience.

#7 ·
Regarding the original post, discussing the addition of lots of appliances while perhaps attempting to save energy with LED lighting seems out of balance. I suspect that after you do a quick energy audit of your typical day or week with those appliances (12v or 120v), and any lighting, the lighting will contribute a woefully small amount to your total usage. And if your running the generator that long anyway, you might as well enjoy the light quality that halogen bulbs provide, no? Best luck in your endeavors, and with that generator, please remember to be kind to your anchorage and mooring neighbors at night.

Best,
Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.