Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 71Irwin32

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Question Not just the fuel tank!

I'm removing and putting in a new fuel tank, specifically because I'm going to move my wheel forward. I found out the hard way that in an emergency situation the wheel was way too close to the boom block. I couldn't turn around and get to it standing or sitting so close to it.

I'm doing short videos of the project:

Removing and replacing the fuel tank on my 1971 Irwin 32 Sloop

...opinions welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2011

Gee, nobody? It's really helpful to get other points of view. Maybe it's too basic.

Old 10-17-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLING, how about some turrning blocks and new clam or jam cleats would have sved a heap of work Go SAFE
Old 10-17-2011

That was also suggested here at the dock, but I wanted the wheel forward anyway, plus the work and time is a good thing. It makes the boat mine, and means I know every inch of her very well. Personally, it's the only way I can have real affinity for the boat (or my other vehicles), which is important when you're way out.

Old 10-17-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I thought I heard Jimi Hendrix in the background of video #4.

Interesting project. We also have our fuel tank suspended beneath the cockpit with the fill cap on the sole or floor. Leakage has not been a problem so far - knock wood - and that location provides a gravity feed to our engine. Your new tank(s) will be lower so will you need to add another fuel pump by the tank? Which engine is in your Irwin 32?

Lots of work going on there. I do think that having more room between your wheel and the main sheet traveler (boom block) is a good idea. It just takes a lot to make that kind of change happen.

It is amazing how much time and how slowly these kinds of projects progress - waiting for the epoxy to kick, next layer etc.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-17-2011

Yes, Hendrix, then Trower at the end....the engine (nearly new Atomic4) is still a tad lower than the tank in the Irwin, pretty steep slope there.

Old 10-17-2011
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
I don't have any advice for your Irwin but I wanted to comment on your view that the job was worthwhile to make the boat "yours". I couldn't agree more. Not that I endorse this or any other particular project, but that as a boat owner I wholeheartedly believe it is important to know your boat inside and out, and to have a deep bond with her so that there is trust. This last point is easy to snicker at, but the sailors I know don't.

I've torn into many things on my Gulf 32 for virtually the only reason of wanting to know for 100% sure that things were good. For example, I removed the headliner in the pilothouse solely because I wanted to inspect the backing blocks for my traveler and winches. This is how I found that the factory used aluminum backing plates and the stainless bolts and nuts had corroded them so badly that they were utterly useless. I redid everything properly and now have NO DOUBTS about the security of my traveler and winches on the pilothouse top.

I would never be really comfortable on a boat that the captain hadn't torn apart and put back together. I am never really comfortable on charter boats for this reason. Once upon a time I was, but the more I learned about the many ways sailboats can fail, the less comfortable I became.

Old 10-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
....the job was worthwhile to make the boat "yours". I couldn't agree more....as a boat owner I wholeheartedly believe it is important to know your boat inside and out, and to have a deep bond with her so that there is trust. This last point is easy to snicker at....
This is not just a mysterious application of superstition as some might imagine. If I'm going to take my boat out in the middle of the ocean to come across no telling what conditions, I want to know everything about the boat and be sure I can count on her......and an owner's work is typically much more thorough than that of a paid supposed pro that only cares about the cash in his pocket and not each boat he comes across. I've found this to be true with my cars/trucks bikes, the homes and buildings I produce.....even my computer, but I even do my profession like I own the project. My customers trust me, listen to me and give me what I want as a result. They want the quality that is MY standard. I won't do any other type of work, especially on my boat.

That's a lot of jawing, but knowing your boat is very important if you want to go off-shore for a distance.....single-handing even more.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 10-17-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
Yes, Hendrix, then Trower at the end....the engine (nearly new Atomic4) is still a tad lower than the tank in the Irwin, pretty steep slope there.
I still think it was amazing how Robin Trower emulated the Hendrix style. I adored (still do) Hendrix and wished I had been old enough to see him at Woodstock (I was 11). As it was I too emulated Hendrix on the guitar but not as well as Robin Trower and now I don't play 'lectric so much anymore. Guess that is why my first electric guitars were Fenders.

I heard an expression when I worked in construction that was: "Can't see it from my house!". There is another expression: "If you want it done right you've got to do it yourself" and both of these apply to having work done on your car, home or boat.

I applaud your fearless hands on undertaking of this project; as you said, many would not spend the bucks it might cost a 'professional' to do this work for you.

I also have an Atomic 4 in my Tartan 27', both are from 1967. There are plenty of people who bad mouth the A4 but I suspect that many of them have the bucks to spend up to $20K for a diesel re-power job. While the A4 might not be my first choice for an engine to take across the Atlantic (or my own boat in it's current state for that matter) I find that the A4 is an amazingly simple engine that you can learn all about. Most devout A4 owners are very much the 'roll up your sleeves and get your fingernails dirty' types. Kinda fits with your current project of relocating the fuel tank and steering pedestal.

I'm pretty sure you have also posted at Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin
If not, you probably should.

Keep up the good work.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-17-2011

I spent some time on the phone with Moyer. They looked up and confirmed my engine was sent to them and refitted in late '04. Moyer decided to concentrate their marketing and whole culture to the do-it-yourselfer/boat owner. They have no problem getting on the phone for lengthy tech help.

I think that gas is cheaper and easier to get....easier to work on, etc. You acutually get rpms too.

I am still listening to Hendrix more than any other music, maybe 75%, mixed in with a variety of other classic 60s - 70s....throw in some Phil Collins, etc.

Hendrix's music is still current in what's going on in the world, and he's just the purest instrument that ever walked on the planet. Fortunately, I survived that type of trauma in my life, sobered up and succeeded....I won't go into all that. The second album I ever bought was in '68, Electric Lady Land. I was 14 I think. I don't have the LPs anymore, but have everything he produced...not the stuff they let out after he died. He didn't let that stuff out because he knew most of it was done when he was too F*up.

I was about 16 when Woodstock happened and about to join the Navy, big mistake, but that's a whole different thing.

I don't really think Trower was emulating Hendrix persay. I know a lot of people thought that....my opinion is that Trower was just being himself, really very different from Hendrix in many ways.
CalebD likes this.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 10-18-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.